Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I should be working

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
but since the board has been so slow lately I thought I would query you fellow egg heads about recipes. Here’s the run down. I have a pretty firm grasp of burning meats (butts, briskets, ribs, steaks, burgers, fish, fowl, etc) but am somewhat limited in the whole fruit and vegetable departments. My wife (and two girls to a lesser degree) doesn’t prefer as much meat in her diet as I do. About the only thing that I have found thus far that she really enjoys is as follows:[p]Marinade - 2 parts Italian dressing, 2 parts teriyaki sauce and 1 part brown sugar[p]In this we will add some or all of the following (cut into bite sized pieces if needed): beef, chicken, mushrooms, pearl onions, cherry tomatoes and assorted colors of bell peppers.[p]We’ll marinate them for about an hour or so and then them cook them direct in a funny looking wok with holes in it. It’s kind of like making a kabob without the hassle of the whole skewer aspect.[p]My wife is a very finicky eater, but she loves this stuff. Knowing that, do you have any recipes that you think she might enjoy? Or suggestions on what to add / alter to the above mentioned one to improve it?[p]Thanks
Matt.

Comments

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    South O, We do this all the time.....it is especially good with lamb. I cut up the various colors of peppers, use red onions when I have them, grape tomatoes, and chunks of fennel when I have that. I marinate mine in olive oil, lemon juice, lots of garlic and salt and pepper. We always put the meat on a bit before the veggies as we like a bit of crunch to them. I have rice ready in the rice cooker and we just fling this over the rice and have a crusty bread and usually iced tea, but vino is fine also! That little basket cooker is the cat's meow isn't it?

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    South O,[p]I've been into mushrooms lately (In the 60s' that sentence sure had a different meaning....)[p]Look on the recipe board and try the grilled portabello sandwich. It makes me forget about hamburgers. [p]cb
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    South O,
    Try the following with Honeydew Melon. Make sure the melon is good and firm, if it's to ripe it'll turn to mush.
    Cut melon into about 1 inch chunks and marinate refrigerated for 1/2 to 1 hour in a mixture of:
    1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
    juice of one small lime
    1 tsp fresh minced ginger
    1 tbl fresh basil (Thai is best)
    Cook direct at about 400-425 for 5-7 minutes in your fuuny looking holey wok. Do not over cook, cook till just a little golden colored.
    This marinate also works wonders with Scallops. However, par boil the scallops for one minute (helps keep them from sticking to the grill) and then immediately put them in a bowl with the marinate for 10 minutes.
    Cook the direct at around 400. They'll take about 10-15 minutes. Turn frequently.
    Don't use the same marinate with both the scallops and the melon (divide it in half or make two batches).
    I got these recipes compliments for Dan & Betty Nolan in Honeoye, NY.
    B D

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    That sounds fantastic. I copied it to a Word document, but you really should post the recipe on the Forum collection. Always looking for more seafood and fruit/veg ideas!
    Thanks for posting.
    Gretl

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Gretl,
    It's done and listed under seafood.
    B D