Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EGG Dried Tomatoes?

Pig Picker
Pig Picker Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just at work dreaming about trying new and interesting things with my EGG. Would it be possible to dry tomatoes in it? If it would work I can only imagine the delightfully smokey flavor it would impart to them.[p]PP

Comments

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Pig Picker,[p]I do believe that it's possible. I'd do them like I do peppers or jerky, indirect with a low temp (~225), checking every 1/2 hour after the first 2 hours until they're the doneness I'm looking for. I'd used hickory or oak for the smoke, not alot though.[p]--Kevin

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Pig Picker,
    I did that a couple of years back, and they were very good. I cut plum tomatoes in half lengthwise and put them cut-side down on lightly oiled foil-lined pan. Indirect over low heat, and I did two tiers by using the grill exdender. They got leathery and not dry, but I kept them in the freezer and used them in all kinds of recipes. Very good. I would only do that during bumper-crop end of season tomato time, as they do shrink up to practically nothing!
    Cheers,
    Gretl