Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome vs. Grate Level Temps

Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There is frequently some discussion about the difference in cooking times, etc., when measuring dome temps vs. measuring grate level temps. Most times a slow cook involves something pretty thick with surfaces well above the grate, but below the dome sensor. Should that make a difference, maybe average the two? I always use dome temps because I believe that's what is contemplated in the "how to's" on this site in most cases, so this may only be an academic question. Just curious. Hope you have a great Eggfest!

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Gandolf, I have done som etesting and found the difference between the dome temp (measured by the thermometer through the dome so that it sits approximately 10 inches off the grill) and the grill level temp (measured by a polder stuck through a potato resting on the grill) can vary as much as 20 degrees. Unfortunately that difference can either be plus or minus. Measured direct, I found the grill temp to be hotter than the dome while on an indirect cook I found the dome to be hotter than the grill. It sort of makes sense but it also depends on the overall temperature. Looking at all the variables, I just stick with dome temperatures for recipes. It's easy and consistent - even if it differs from the grill.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Gandolf,
    You are right, this has been discussed...with many differing opinions. Personally, I am with the group that advocates measuring the temp at cooking level for all lo/slo cooks. With so many possible setups, the variance between dome and cooking level temps wil be minor with some setups, and huge with other setups. With a large water filled drip pan, or an inverted platesetter, I have noticed temp variances as much as 80 degrees. Frequently 50 or more.[p]Sure, once you have settled on a particular setup that you use all the time, you can use your dome as a guide....since you will know how your cooker works with that particular setup. But until that is understood, you are cooking with guesswork, and are not likely to get consistent results.[p]Just an opinion!
    Thanks for the Eggfest wishes. Pretty much guaranteed to be a good time!
    Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ