Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Greetings from Afghanistan

Options
Dut
Dut Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally made it over here. I was wondering what the slowdown over yonder on the old forum. Took me a little while to get activated and all. Then I had to take a while to scan back and see what's been going on.

I have about 6 weeks left until I can get home to my Very Lovely Wife, Crazy Dogs and BGE's. No one should be torn from their BGE, it's just uncivilized.

It was a little chilly when I got here.....
GEDC0109.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

The scenery can be nice at times though..
IMG_0038.jpg

We did take it upon ourselves to make us a nice "driving range" to give the place a little more character..
IMG_0112.jpg

Looks like I'll miss the first couple of Eggfest but I encourage everyone to attend, the food is pretty spectacular but it really doesn't compare to the people you'll meet.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    those are some particualliary cold looking photos. like the driving range. wish you could be around your eggs but thank you for the sacrafice ;) hope to see you return home soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Nice post! Those icicles growing at an angle are intriguing. Keep your head down.......and, stay safe ;)
  • first and foremost, thanks for your service, and stay SAFE!!!

secondly .. .do you get extra points if you hit the port-a-john?? :woohoo:
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    All I can say is, "Thank you." And those words barely express the gratitude that all of us have for our men and women serving in harm's way all over the world. Stay safe.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Thanks for the pic's. It was neat, even experiencing by photo, some of your world there. I'm glad for you and your family that you are coming home soon. I'll say a prayer for your safety and your family's.

JoJo
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Greetings from Ohio!

First thank you for your service. Our whining about cold and snow pales when I see those plywood huts you guys live in. I've read that the Afghan winters can be pretty brutal.

Say safe. Catch you downrange soldier.

H
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Impressive pics those mountains are majestic.....Take care & all the best to you & your mates...a safe return home to your lovely wife and of course to your egg....leave you with a recent pic of mine.

GreenEgg018.jpg
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Dut,
    Beautiful scenery, but I'm sure you would rather see it under better circumstances. Thank you for all you do for us back here. Be safe.
    Bob
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Dang that looks cold! Thank you for your service, stay safe, and hopefully we'll see you at the MN fest again this year. -RP
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Make it home safely, man! I served overseas in support of Desert Storm many years ago, and I gotta tell you and your family THANKS for carrying on the honorable job of protecting our freedom.

Take care!
  • THANK YOU AND YOUR FELLOW SERVICEMAN AND WOMEN FOR BEING THEIR FOR US
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    So often we forget the sacrifices our men and women in uniform make to keep us safe and free and being away from family and loves ones is a major one. We also tend to forget that those sacrifices extend to their spouses and children. I never fully realized that until long after I retired when my wife told me how our young children often cried themselves to sleep and how she worried daily about my safety.

Thank you for your service to our Country.
    Be safe and God bless
  • First and foremost my highest regards to you and yours. Stay safe and come home soon. It would be quite a gesture on BGE's part if they would ship you guys a BGE to use over there. I hope someone is listening.