Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Night\'s Meatloaf

Options
FlaMike
FlaMike Posts: 648
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been doing this recipe for about 2 years, and just now took the pics.

100_0845.jpg

330 Indirect, pull at 155, rest till 160. about 1.5 hrs. Cherry & hickory for smoke.

100_0847.jpg

Just a faint hint of pink. Perfect! .... Forgot to mention... that's a 4 lb loaf.

100_0848.jpg

Comments

• SunDiegoEgger
    Options
    Meatloaf looks yummy! Recipe???
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Must be meatloaf week. :laugh:
    Very nice looking, inside and out. Hope you have enough for leftovers.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Great cook, Mike. Is that circle on the cutting board a reference for rib or brisket length that can go in the cooker? Also, what's the recipe for the meatloaf? I'd like to try cooking some.

Thanks!
  • FlaMike
    Options
    Actually, the circle is for a 12" pizza crust. When I do the dough dance, it gives me a clue when to stop. Recipe follows:
  • FlaMike
    Options
    Got this off this forum, but forgot who to credit.

I have made just a couple modifications, but pretty much stuck with the original recipe since it's so good. Also, I usually make a double batch and divide it into 2-3 loaves. I vacuum-seal & freeze the 1-2 extra loaves to cook some other time.
    Makes 4lb loaf. Can double the recipe and divide into 2-3 loaves.
    2 lbs ground chuck
    1 lb ground pork
    1 TBS canola oil
    1/2 cup minced onion up to 3 oz.
    1/2 cup chopped green or red pepper up to 3 oz
    1/2 cup chopped mushrooms up to 3 oz.
    3/4 cup italian bread crumbs
    2 TBS Worcestershire
    3-4 cloves minced garlic
    1 egg
    1/2 cup beef stock
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    2 TBS mrs dash or other salt free seasoning
    1-2 TBS montreal steak seasoning (optional)
    1 tsp Kosher salt (optional)
    1 tsp Tabasco (optional)

Warm the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and bell pepper and sauté. As it sautés, add the pepper, salt, cumin, garlic and continue cooking until veggies are softened. Put the veggies into a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well with your hands. Then mound the mixture to form your meatloaf. When doing a double batch, this makes 2-3 good-sized meatloafs. You can sprinkle a liberal amount of Montreal Steak Seasoning on all sides of the meatloaf. I'm sure other rubs would work just as well.
    Cook indirect at about 330-degree temp. You will need a drip pan. Cook to an internal temp of 160 degrees. It takes about an hour and a half. Let sit for 10 minutes and serve.

We don't use added salt, or heat, so we just leave off the last 3 ingredients.

Enjoy!
  • FlaMike
    Options
    Oh yeah, leftovers are a must. Just the two of us, so we'll have another meal, and cold sammies too.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I appreciate the responses for the pizza dough guide and the recipe for the meatloaf. Looks like I'll be doing a little of both this week :)
  • Mike,
    do you serve any sauce with the meatloaf, I've got guest coming in over the weekend and I'm going to give it a try.
  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    That looks great !!

Thank you for posting the recipe.

Kyle
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I believe the basis of that recipe was what Wudeyedoo posted back in 2004 that he made at the Texas Eggfest. Several modifications show up here from time to time. Here's essentially the same loaf that I made recently. Note the "bark" which was the result of rubbing it completely with a favorite homemade rub. Anyway you add or delete that recipe is a winner!!!
    IMG_2222.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FlaMike
    Options
    No sauce, no ketchup, no mustard, no nuthin, period .......... This meat tastes so good i gave up on all the stuff I used to use. Here's a tip. When you have a beef cook of any kind. Save the leftover juice, freeze it, and use it later in another recipe. this meatloaf had 1/2 cup of brisket juice in place of the reg beef broth it called for. Makes a difference.