Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow thermopen

Options
smokinsop
smokinsop Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:( My thermopen seems to take a lot longer to register max temp than it used to. Like 10-15 seconds and climbs 1 degree at a time. Used to take about 3-7 seconds. Any ideas. Maybe battery?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i notice mines slow when taking temps of liquids, fine when taking temps of steak, chicken etc. checking deep fry oil takes a long time.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i did deep some frying yesterday for the first time with the thermapen, and pan fried some chicken at the same time. i noticed it took a while to hit max temp, too.

part of me wondered if it was due to the fact that i'd cranked the burner to high, and was checking temp while the oil was still climbing up to temp. maybe it was changing because the temp was actually chancging? dunno.

glad to see i wasn't the first to have the "slow thermapen" issue. funny that he asked this question the day after i noticed it. ...and that your comment is re: oil/liquid.

you both pretty much asked and answered my question for me.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    funny thing is that its very slow the first time you check the oil, but 2 minutes later it reads a little faster. my oil therm doesnt fit in the wok right so ive been using the thermpen
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    Options
    I first noticed it checking oil in deep fryer. Will give it another try in meatloaf tonite

thanks
  • stike
    Options
    i might also need a new battery.
    after about thirty seconds one time the screen went off. don't remember that happening before, but of course, you don't stand there for 30 seconds reading the temp of a steak either.

by the way. i totally effed up the panfried chicken. black... looked easier than it was!
    still good though
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    That's funny, last Thursday I tried pan fried chicken too and also effed it. It was a double dip with buttermilk recipe and my first batch was blackened and the internal temp of the meat was only 130. -RP
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Revenge of the Egg!!!

Be one with your egg and it will be one with you.
  • stike
    Options
    that was my recipe too. buttermilk. tasted great.
    i also had big thighs, cuz that's what we found in the freezer. so yeah, hot oil, cold big chunks of chicken, and fifteen minutes later i had black stuff and 145 or so in the middle.

i was also screwing around on an electric range... the kitchen reno is on deck, hopefully within the next thirty years. wife wants a gas stove top. i can see her point.

chasing temps in the oil was a pain in the adenoids.