Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marge's Stuffed Pizza

KC
KC Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Marge,
I cooked the stuffed Chicago style pizza tonight using the recipe you posted last week. We wolfed it down before I could get pics but it was DELICIOUS. Thanks for the recipe. I will be trying your Italian beef sandwich recipe soon. Thanks again.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    make sure you make the itialian giadineria i made it and it was not hot enough just add a couple hot peppers. i think i have the fix but i am waiting on it to ripen before i add to this recepie

Well i am definately making italian beef for the super bowl. thanks to Large Marge, Meat Head and recipe guru Richard Fl. so this morning i finished up making the Itialian Giardineria. as i was putting this recipie into two mason jars i was wondering what is the shelf life of this.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Whole Bell Peppers, Green, Diced
    2 Whole Bell Peppers, Red, Diced
    8 Fresh Jalapeños, Sliced
    1 Stalk Celery
    1 Medium Carrots, Diced tomatoes
    1 Small Onion, Chopped
    1/2 cup Cauliflower, Florets, Fresh
    1/2 cup Salt
    Water to cover
    2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Chopped
    1 Tbs Oregano, Dried
    1 Tbs Red Pepper, Flakes
    1/2 tsp Black Pepper
    1 5 Ozs Jar Pimento Stuffed Green Olives, Chopped
    1 cup White Vinegar
    1 cup Olive Oil

Directions:
    1 Place into a bowl the green and red peppers, jalapenos, celery, carrots, onion, and cauliflower. Stir in salt, and fill with enough cold water to cover. Place plastic wrap or aluminum foil over the bowl, and refrigerate overnight.
    2 The next day, drain salty water, and rinse vegetables. In a bowl, mix together garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and olives. Pour in vinegar and olive oil, and mix well. Combine with vegetable mixture, cover, and refrigerate for 2 days before using.
    3 thanks
    5 happy eggin
    6 tb

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Bente, 2008/02/01

The mason jars are not sealed but there is alot of vinager in there. but there is also olive oil in there and i am not sure how long it takes to go rancid. i also have no idea what rancid is. do you smell it or does it just ruin the taste?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Thanks, BENTE, I will try it. I may also order some from the place Marge suggested and compare the store bought with the home made.
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    congrats! What did you use inside- spinach? Would love to see some pics next time-

- Marge
  • BENTE
    heck don't do that... if she says it s good then wait. i am planning a trip through atlanta here soon and plan on going by the place she recomended earlier. but i am still looking for the best homemade version. i have never even been to chicago but have eaten a itialian beef in atlanta. and my biggest problem with the homemeade is the giardineria. the homemade version looks good and the one they sell instores looks terrible (for a sandwitch {too chunky}) and it looks like it is not hot at all, compared with what i have eaten. so if i can find the right mixture and have marge try it then we might be on to something.. :P

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You know, I ordered a deep dish pizza pan from Amazon last week due to that post. Hopefully it will arrive in the next couple days so I can try it.

It was inspiring and beautiful.....
  • Large Marge
    TB - try this link- http://www.dellalpe.com/PRODUCTS/giardiniera_relish.htm

or Click on this.

I think you're talking about the relish which isn't chunky but can be hot as you want it! DellAlpe is the kind I have at home, I bought some last trip to Chicago. Or you can go to Bobby G's in Atlanta next trip and buy some jars there (though they don't have the relish, but I like the regular chunky stuff).

By the way... I suppose I should "out" myself... she is a he! Large Marge is just a screen name (actually a funny character in Pee Wee's Big Adventure from the '80s who drove a haunted truck and scared the bejeezus out of Pee Wee- click on my profile to see what I'm talking about!)

My real name is Joe- just a hardened BBQ nut like the rest of you out there-- hope that doesn't spoil Marge's persona!!

- Marge
  • Large Marge
    Amazon has giardiniera from two Chicago-based distributors-- either the Ziyad or the Pagliacci brands would be authentic. Though I haven't tried either, I Googled the brands and found where they're coming from-- you would be OK ordering either of these and they're pretty cheap! Marge

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-0062831-2901518?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=giardiniera
  • BENTE
    thanks marge :laugh:

i was picturing a woman in her late 50's with a little weight problem. but now i am totally crushed :(

thanks i will stop by bobby g's when i am in atl. but i have taken the first batch i made and added two dried habenjaro peppers (thanks milesofsmiles)into it and hopefully it will be a bit closer to what i think it should be

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Large Marge
    Hey for the right price I can be Oprah Winfrey if you want! kidding