Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chickens and RRP Taters

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hadn't done any whole yardbirds in a while so I decided to put down a couple oversized ones. Dusted one with swamp venom and one with shakin' the tree. Cooked indirect at 425 until done with a couple nice sized chunks of cherry - gave a really nice color to them.

TwoChickens.jpg

I also had to try to sliced and fanned potatoes that RRP posted a couple weeks ago. I drizzled them with melted butter, then hit them with salt, pepper, and cheddar when done. Very tasty and a good consistency. These are a definite repeat. Thanks for the great idea!

ChickensandTaters.jpg

ChickenandTatersDone.jpg

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Fidel,

Nice lookin chicken. I wanted to try the spuds like that this weekend but didn't get there.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I bet those taters are awsome.I can't wait to try them.The chicken also looks wonderful.I don't think that you are gonna go hungry. :laugh: :woohoo:
  • uuuuum makes my mouth water just lookin at em how long do the taters take?
  • Fidel
    Options
    I did the taters pretty much like Ron explained. I sliced them, then microwaved for 6 minutes. Then put them on with the chickens at 425 for about 25-30 minutes.

I should have let them for about 10 more minutes. They were pretty large bakers and the center were still a bit al dente. Overall though, they were very good.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Good lookin birds!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Beautiful color on the yardbirds, Fidel. I really need to try cherry. I love STT on chicken, too.

I'm getting some Swamp Venom in a few days, but I'm worried it might be a little too spicy for the family.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Hint: if your family doesn't like the Swamp Venom don't just throw it out...it makes a terrific additive to Bloody Marys!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Oh, I'm sure it'll find its way into those, plus eggs, chili and on some private Egged stuff, too.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Those birds were beautiful! They reminded me of some nekked beauties on a beach some where! OH boy is cabin fever a nasty thing!!!

Glad the potato method worked for you. That is an alternative method for bakers that I added to my list of options.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Nice one, Fidel--great to see you back again! Did you use the chopsticks as Ron prescribed for the potato slicing? Hehe. Yours look great. Still have to try some cherry wood for smoke and will probably pick up some later this week, because I could not find my bag of pecan chunks this afternoon.

Thanks for the pics!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Nice yard bird! Never seen the tators done like that. How long to cook them?
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    Once you sliced them and nuked them, what did you put on them before and while they were baking on the egg?
  • Fidel
    Options
    After slicing them I rinsed them in cold water and let them dry. I nuked them 6 minutes. When they were done in the microwave I drizzled with EVOO and a little salt and pepper, then onto the egg for about 30 minutes (which as I said was not quite long enough for these large bakers). With 2-3 minutes to go I laid 2-3 pats of butter on them and let that melt down into the crevices, then hit them again with salt, pepper,and finally the cheese.