Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Beer Can Chicken

Chick with EggChick with Egg Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the deal with beer can chicken and what is the best way to do it? Will the chicken taste like beer? Thanks.

Comments

• JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    All it consist of is a special rack that you can snag at Wal Mart or Home Depot that you stick a open beer in and the bird slides down over the can. IMO all the can does is moisten the bird. Makes no differance if its beer, coke or juice. I shove a lime 1/2 in the neck to hold in more moisture and rub the bird down with my home brew rub. Cook indirect at 300 to breast temp of 165.
    09-08-07031.jpg
  • ThrRoffThrRoff Posts: 169
    The chicken dosen't taste at all like beer. Basically the method is a way of adding moisture to a chicken while it cooks. There are many ways to cook a "beer can chicken." There are commerical holders available, and many recipes. I would search for a couple and give it a try. The Egg does them well.

3beerchik.jpg
  • JeffersonianJeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I somehow ran out of canned beer the day I cooked these, but it just adds moisture and not a lot of flavor.

DSC00246.jpg
  • JimboBQJimboBQ Posts: 188
    Here's one of my "beer can" chickens done on the small with Chubby's Grate Mates. Instead of a can, I got this ceramic Gizmo that I mount the chicken on. It never tips over like a can might. I can pour the beer in the aluminum pie plate that I place the chicken and gizmo in. Wish I could remember where I got the ceramic chicken stand from. I know I ordered it on-line.
    Happy egging!

Jimbo

HennessyCknforBGEPost.jpg
    Spartanburg, SC
  • PopsiclePopsicle Posts: 511
    I’m with you Jeffersonian, after years of using a beer/coke etc. cans with whatever liquid, I now just put them on a holder like you have and can’t tell the difference. Sometime I do them indirect at 350 and others I do direct on a raised grid at about 325. Either way it takes about 90 minutes for a 5# bird. Generally I do 4 birds at a time and they have always turned out very moist. Popsicle.
    Willis Tx.
  • Jimbo-
    This is where I got mine:
    http://www.earlymorningpottery.com/

I used to do beercan chickens with just the beercan and the chicken legs steadying it. I had a few difficulties removing a cooked, falling-apart chicken with a half-can of beer stuck to it's butt. so I started thinking about my options. Then one time the hot bird fell apart and the beer dumped into the coals and that was enough for me.

I been using the stoneware vertical roaster ever since. I like cooking 6.5 lb birds at 500 for 60 minutes. Just prep with EVOO and my favorite rub that day. I don't miss the beer, the chicken is still moist. In fact, after a week in the refrigerator the breast meat is still better than any other day-old chicken leftovers I've ever had.
  • Ooops, I forgot the picture!

SloChicken.jpg

This was actually a low and slo chicken I was doing. close to 6 hours at 250.
    Lot of time for something that is every bit as good when only cooked for an hour!
  • One more thing- that 60 minutes at 500 is an indirect cook.
  • BrocBroc Posts: 1,398
    Personal opinion -- The only advantage to doing chicken vertically is that you can get more chickens on the Egg.

Beer, Sprite, water -- doesn't really matter... just something wet..

That said, I have had trouble getting the bird to cook inside and not be baked outside.

I prefer to spatchcock -- but it takes up a lot of room on the grill

~ B
  • OzarkQOzarkQ Posts: 150
    FWIW - on America's Test Kitchen cooking show on PBS they put a couple bay leaves in the beer and they said it helps the flavor. I don't know for sure, but they seem to be pretty good with their culinary advice.