Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ribs

PooterPooter Posts: 28
edited 10:16PM in EggHead Forum
I am cooking two racks of ribs (newbie), What temp should they be pulled

Thanks
·

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,878
    I pull by time and do not worry about the temp. How you cooking them what type, and what temp?
    ·
  • When you can twist one of the bones out and the meat has pulled way back from the end of the bone.
    ·
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Like the other replies. No temp. The meat is pulled back about 1 to 1 1/2 inches or when you pick them up, the almost break apart.

1210spares1.jpg

Mike
    ·
  • PooterPooter Posts: 28
    1 rack baby backs
    1 rack St. Louis style
    Been cooking 4 hours @ 250 dome
    They seem to bend easy, but cannot turn the bones
    Are they about done?

mark
    ·
  • TXTrikerTXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Or they do break apart.DSC02042.jpgI had trouble finding my pictures.
    ·
  • PooterPooter Posts: 28
    012-2-1.jpg
    ·
  • JeffersonianJeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Looking good, Pooter.
    ·
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,699
    I just got through cooking and eating some ribs (or trying to eat them) and I did everything I was supposed to do. They were terrible. Very tasty and moist although a bit spicy hot, but they were extremely tough. Totally unappealing.

I prepped them about an hour with a self-made rub recipe supposedly famous in Memphis. I set up the Egg for indirect cooking @ 215/220° grid (about 260/270° dome) and starting misting them with a cane vinegar and white grape juice mix at least once an hour after two hours.

I used my BBQ Guru to maintain temperature.

I continued this for five hours and then basted some John Henry BBQ sauce for about 30 minutes. I never did see any sign of tenderness or pulling away from the bone so I foiled them and let them set off to the side while I made a side dish.

These ribs were even hard to cut. Worst I've seen. And I paid premium dollar for them in our favorite meat market.

I haven't a clue as to why they were so tough.

Thinking I should stick to Butts.

Spring "Rib Bone Connected To Itself" Chicken
    ·
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    My good friend, Leroy. When my legal issues go away. Make room for me and my ribs. Kick the monkey out of the Spa, Okay?

Mike
    ·
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,699
    Deal...

Spring "Need Learning. Teacher Coming" Chicken
    ·