Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small butt timing delimma

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My local pork farm butchers on Thursdays and I called on Friday so I was unable to request a nice size Boston Butt for some pulled pork. They cut them rather small, in the 3 to 4 pound range. [p]I want to bring in some pulled pork to work on Monday and amaze my co-workers with the wonders of the egg. My problem is; when do I start my cook? If I choose to cook at 250, and it's about 2 hours per pound, plus another hour or so for multiple butts, this means getting up very, very early to get things started. I guess I could get the egg up to temp, go to bed, get up very, very early, put some hickory in and get some smoke going, add the butt and go back to sleep. But, I would rather put the butt on while I'm coming up to temp for max smoke penetration. If I lower my cook temp to around 200, how much additional time would that add to my cook? If I can get things going around midnight, take it off sometime midmorning, then I can wrap in foil and use an igloo to keep everything toasty until lunch.[p]Any suggestions?[p]Thanks

Comments