Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Considering a BGE would like input

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering purchasing a large BGE, my question simply put is what makes them so great? Can anyone give me some sort of empirical data or information that will help explain how and why they are so much better than conventional charcoal grills? Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    All you need to know besides what you see in the forum is right here
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    Go for it & you'll never look back
    Pat
  • BigChar
    BigChar Posts: 113
    Hey Andrew - My guess is you will get about a thousand reasons why BGE is a much better machine than conventionals on this forum. I was a conventional user, and also a gas user. Bought my BGE last week, and it really is an amazing machine. As for empirical data, I suggest you surf over to www.nakedwhiz.com - there is a ton of good information on that site. The first night I charred Beef Fillets at 750 degrees - can't do that on conventional grills for sure. Just as good as Ruth's Chris steak house too. Do your research, but my guess is when you do, you too will join the club.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Andrew,
    There are replies to your post but they are on the new forum and you can't see them here. Click on new forum above to get there. -RP

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I'm probably not quite at Ruth's Chris level yet on my steaks, but I'm not far. My Egged steaks are better than all but one or two of my city's best steak houses'. Ditto my ribs, pulled pork, burgers, shrimp....but I'll still go out for brisket. My brisket is so bad it's considered a violation of the Geneva Conventions.
  • BigChar
    BigChar Posts: 113
    Its all in the meat!.....and the Egg, of course. We have a great local butcher shop here, thankfully. What is up with the brisket?
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    It is more than a grill/smoker it becomes a way of life. In a motel tonight (went to a basketball game this afternoon out ot town) Last night I cooked wings, 2 whole chickens, mac and cheese (need some help with this one) turkey burgers and catfish. I can eat leftover egged food or go out. I can see a Darrlys Carabbas and a couple of other places from my window but I will probably eat egged food. Will post pictures later, going to Happy hour now. The egg is magic but she can't mix a drink :)
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I wish I could tell you...I did one a few weeks back and it turned out like shoe leather. We ate the tender end, and tossed the rest.
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    The large does it all, sear, grill, bake & smoke.
    With the availability of the 2 & 3 tier racks, the criticism of the small cooking area has gone.
    It is impervious to rain & cold weather
    Lump is the purest cooking fuel available
    It will never rust.
    It has enough vertical space to smoke a turkey vertically w/Spanek towers
    There are many accessories that fit all cooking needs
    It requires no electricity
    The dome temp enables you to cook both top & bottom. Metal cookers cook only from below when the temp is @ or below freezing.
    It retains the moisture due to the ceramic mass
    It offers the best forum. Help is only a post away
    It is maintenance free
    Watching the smoke billow from the port is satisfying

Any decent cook will cost you at least $1000.

Read/view the post daily for a month before you make up your mind.
  • Andrew-
    It's a whole nother animal!
    I talk to my friends who cook on their webbers or their gassers and it's like they're still using the telephones you have to crank.

It introduced me to a world I didn't know existed.

Also, FWIW, I live in New England and am just completing my second winter of cooking out every weekend. My gasser and Webber friends put them away till summer.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Andrew,[p]The heavy ceramic wall is a great insulator.
    ~ 10 pounds of lump will maintain BBQ temps for 30+ hours, untended.
    - Long burn time & low airflow = food maintains its moisture... No need for water pans.
    - Weather has little effect on the Egg. Even way up north it is a year-round cooker.[p]Ceramic doesn't rust.
    If any of the ceramic does crack in use, BGE will replace it.[p]This forum:
    - With a few easy tips & tricks you can smoke cheese at near ambient temperatures, cook chili, bake bread, cook pizza, or sear steaks at temps you couldn't approach with any other cooker.
    - If you have *any* cooking or Egg related question, or just want to crow a bit about your kid hitting their first double in T-ball, this is a great group with excellent support, great advice, endless recipes, and there is someone here pretty much 24-7.[p]Corporate support:
    - The people at BGE are the best, and are always there to help with any physical/technical problem. (Well, during business hours anyway.)[p]I used my first BGE for 20 years. It was one of the old baked clay models and the best cooker I ever used. I bought my first ceramic BGE 2 years ago. The ceramic Egg is better.[p]Safety:
    Did I mention the Creamic is a great insulator?
    Got kids? Grandkids? Ever have friends over who have kids? Have any absent minded friends?
    What would happen if you were to momentarily touch a conventional charcoal grill that is in use?
    The BGE can be cooking along at 375*, and you can lay your hand on the dome. It will be hot, and you won't want to keep your hand there long, but it wonÕt burn you. I know, this is a demonstration I have done many times.

[ul][li]See more responses to your question here.[/ul]
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    I'm 65-y-o.

I have destroyed lots of stuff on gassers and hibachis and those W-thangs...

When I got my first egg, two years ago, I thought it was a grill. The food was terrible. Then, I got lucky and discovered this forum and a great dealer...

Now -- I'm Da Man! Just tonight I was asked to cook for 70.... yep! That's a big seven-oh... No big deal... Two cooks ago, I fed 150... and that's on a Medium!

Zheesh! I wish I had a Large...

How's that for empirical data?

Just do it! Stay with the forum -- click on all the pictures -- ask all the questions you want...

There's an army of chefs who will keep helping you ooze on down the road...

Yeah! The Emerald Egg of Oz!

:):):):):)

~ Broc
  • Andrew,
    I purchased my large BGE about a month ago, and got rid of my weber gas grill. I have used the BGE three times now, and
    it just gets better and better!! Last night, I did steaks
    and I used the TRex method. The BGE got up to over 700 degrees in about 15 minutes, and it seared my Ribeyes
    perfectly. I was able to drop the temp down to 400 degrees
    inb about 10 minutes, and iI then put my steaks back on
    the cast iron grill (Cast iron is a must for searing properly) In about 10 more minutes, my wife and I were eating a better tasting steak than most AAAAA steak houses
    offer! Very moist and unbeliveable taste.

• NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Andrew,[p]Since you asked for data, take a look at this study by "NakedWhiz". (Link below)
    You can also read his extensive list of FAQ's.[p]

[ul][li]Ceramic Charcoal Cooker[/ul]