Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf question..

Options
ILL--EGGER
ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to cook a meatloaf on the egg today, our first on the egg, and would like to cook it in my stainless steel veggie basket to allow for grease to escape. My question is if anyone has cooked meatloaf over a drip pan -vs- in a loaf pan and had any issues with it drying out? I also have searched around a bit and found two places that call for a 160 internal cook temp. and one that calls for 180. Anyone's advice on this would also be appreciated. I have a feeling the 160 would be the way to go but always like suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• KickapooBBQ
    Options
    Meatloaf sounds good ILL-EGGER, can I come over. Hope the fantasy draft went your way!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Steve,
    160 works well - 180 is going to be dry! Personally I use my foil covered plate setter inverted with legs up to catch the drained out grease. Also if you'll spray that mesh basket first with Pam then clean up is easier, though if it gets baked in the mesh an over night soak will do the trick. Good luck!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ILL--EGGER
    Options
    Ron, thanks for the feedback and will post results later tonight :P
  • ILL--EGGER
    Options
    Kickapoo,
    The draft was alot of fun, jury out on results ;) , but i'm sure i'll have a competitive team. Speaking of eggs, you got that thing up and running yet?! And of course your welcome to come over for dinner!
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Correct on the 160 internal.

The recipe I use starts with cooking the loaf in a bread pan until it firms up. Then you take it out and finish it on the grid. There is always a lot of juice in the pan. If you skipped this step, there would be a lot of juices, so a drip pan would be needed.

The recipe I use is here http://www.phhp.ufl.edu/~tlambert/FloridaEggfest2005/Florida%20Eggfest%20Recipes.pdf and is called Aint Mommas Meat loaf. It's good eats, Scott
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    The veggie basket should work fine. I would put a drip pan with water underneath just to keep the grease from burning and smelling up the tine meal you will soon enjoy.

Meatloaf, Richard Fl

I do them on the small indirect at 325-350F about an hour pulled around 150F.

Meatloaves
    2 Lbs. Ground Chuck
    2 Lbs. Ground Round
    3 Whole Eggs
    1 Large Vidalia Onion, Chopped Medium
    10-15 Saltine Crackers, Crushed
    1/2-3/4 Cup Spicy Ketchup
    1/2-3/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
    2-3 Tbs. Dijon Mustard
    1-2 Cups Pepper Ridge Farms Herbed Seasoning Stuffing
    1-1 1/2 Pkg. Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    Coarse Peppermill Black Pepper, to taste
    3-4 Strips Bacon, Optional
    Sauce, 1 Meatloaf
    1 Cup Spicy Ketchup
    1/4 Cup Dijon Mustard
    1/2-3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
    2-3 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
    Ground Pepper to taste

Procedure:
    1 The meat recipe makes 2 nice 10 inch diameter loaves and they are about 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick. The sauce is for one meatloaf. The meat recipe may be halved or the other loaf frozen, which is what I do.
    2 When mixing the meat and other ingredients, mix about 1/3 saltine crackers and 2/3 Pepper Ridge stuffing, do in 1/4 -1/2 cup portions so as not to dry out the mixture.
    3 If using the bacon, lay on top of loaf and then cover with the sauce at the beginning of the cook. I cook over a rack that has a grease catch pan underneath and there by avoid having to deal with removing the grease from a normal loaf pan.
    4 You want the sauce to be thick. if necessary thin with water or more vinegar. Slather all over! Nice to have a little sauce left over, to serve with. Play with the ratios of ketchup and mustard until you reach a point that makes you happy. Enjoy!!

Yield: 2-2 Pound Loaves

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/09/05
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    Just cooked mine on the grill with a pan made from aluminum foil on the plate setter, legs up to catch the grease. 160 internal was good and moist. Let it rest for 5-10 after removed from grill.
  • RRP
    Options
    Here's mine from last Sunday. Note the strips of bacon on top makes a tasty reward snack for the chef while waiting for the loaf to set 10 minutes!
    IMG_2222.jpg
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Thanks, Richard, I'm bookmarking that one.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    What happened to the meatloaf rack I sent a few years back, or Did I send it to someome else and my age has lost it?? See you Friday, ps bring the kids I got something for them!
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    I use the drip pan out of the oven and go to 160 degrees internal and it is never dry. My recipe is in the 2007 Eggtoberfest recipes.
    P1010090.jpg
    This is my setup.
    Frank from Indiana
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    I use one of the loaf pans that has an insert that has holes in the bottom. Grease falls below insert into the pan. I got it at BB&B for a couple of dollars and it works great. As for my likes, I usually pull mine just a little before it hits 160 and let it sit a few minutes. Works great for my likes,
    Larry
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    The meatloaf has joined our menu after seeing others cook it. It is much tastier than what I remember eating when I was growing up.

I cook the meatloaf in the perforated, veggie basket as I haven't found a wire, bread-like basket here in Metro KC.

I cook @ 225-250 until it reaches 165 internal. None have dried out.

I do not use a drip pan.

My wife uses an Italian receipe.
  • RRP
    Options
    Here's a good source for that Brinkmann Meat Loaf basket for $11.99. Page down about 3/4 of the way. It's item 115111. BTW they carry lots of goodies and their service is quick and S & H is low compared to other Internet stores.
    http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/BBQ-Accessories.html

Here's a picture of mine. Note how easy this basket makes it to smoke you meatloaf all over - let alone drain off the grease. HTH
    IMG_00991.jpg
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    Meatloaf for me tonight too yum!yum!
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I do my meatloaf at least once a month, indiriect, using a perforated pan on a grid, over a drip pan on an inverted platesetter. I do a 4 lb loaf, at 330 for about 1.5 hrs. Pull it at 155, let it rest to 160. Never dried out, always juicy. Sorry no pics, I'll take one tonight.....guess what? we're havin' meatloaf!!