Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Salmon

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need a little help here. My neighbors want me to smoke some Salmon. We have found a good source for the fish a Costco. It comes in fillets. I want to serve it cold. Recipes and serving suggestions would be appreciated!![p]Thanks!!
Hank

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Hank,[p]The Egg excels in hot-smoked salmon but not cold-smoked which calls for temps below 100*[p]Here's a suggestion and one of our favorites: Marinate the fillet(s) in a good robust teryaki such as Angustura or Kikkoman for several hours. Remove from marinade and pat dry with paper towels and "paint" on a light coat of Jack Daniels, Jim Beam or your favorite bourbon and then drizzle with maple syrup just before cooking. Smoke them skin down at 225* using alder and or sugar maple chips for firespice. The flesh should flake nicely with a fork after about 1 hour.
    You can serve hot or cold.[p]K~G

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Hank,[p]The recipe depends on the thickness of the fillet, but the Costco fillets tend to be pretty thick (about two inches in the middle). It also depends on how smoky you want it to be. Finally, it depends on what style you like: dry and flaky? Moist and tender?[p]Anyway, here's the way I do those fillets: first, rub them with your favorite spice mixture. I use Snider's Prime Rib mix, which you can get at Barbecues Galore. It's basically glorified seasoned salt. I sometimes add in a little sugar. You don't need to marinate this thing overnight -- an hour or two is sufficient.[p]I then stabilize the Egg at 250 degrees and add some chunks of wood (I use oak). I smoke the salmon for an hour, using an indirect method. The salmon is on a small-mesh grid on top of a pan, just to insulate it from the fire a little.[p]This comes out very smoky but still moist. Hope this helps!
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    trout1.jpg
    <p />Hank, The link and the picture are for trout that I do a lot. The same recipe can be used for salmon. Just brine and smoke a little longer. This gives you smoked fish that is very good cold, it's the only way we eat it. Good luck.[p]Chuck <><[p]
    [ul][li]Smoked Trout[/ul]
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    KennyG,
    This salmon recipe of yours has become a regular in our household. Thanks! I highly recommend it if anyone hasn't given it a try.[p]bd

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Brad,[p]You are welcome my friend and glad you enjoy. Will I be seeing you at East Coast Eggfest??[p]K~G

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    KennyG,
    Absolutely. Wouldn't miss it.
    I have not been posting as much these days, but I still bleed green....[p]

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Bourbon%20Dejon%20Salmon.jpg
    <p />Hank,
    Try the link below. It's absolutely the best I've ever had. It's great right off the grill and equally as good after refrigating.
    The pic is a half a filet I did about a year ago.
    B D

[ul][li]Bourbon Dejon Salmon[/ul]
  • Thanks everyone!! I hate it when work does not allow me to check post as they occur.[p]Hank