Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Chip Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been reading some of the recipes on the linked sites and I have noticed that many receipes call for orange wood pellets and other wood chips. Here is my question. Do you use foil to wrap them, a small metal box (I have seen a 4x6 at SprallMart and a smaller one at Home Depot) or do you just throw them on the coals? I am concerned about left over tastes if I don't "control" the chips. I know how flavored coffee is in a coffee maker! I bought some orange and pecan pellets as well as some mesquite big chips yesterday...I am itching to try some chicken with the orange ones if BGE will ever ship me my plate setter! I ordered it last week! Thanks for any help you can give!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Andrew Flashback,
    If you use chips or chunks, just throw them on the fire. If you use the BBQr's Delight pellets, follow the directions and put them in a foil pouch. Once the chips/chunks/pellets burn, there will be no residue flavor. If there are unburned pieces left, you can just pick them out of the lump before you start your next fire.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Andrew Flashback,[p]You don't have to wait until your platesetter arrives. Butterfly the bird and cook it direct. The way I do it is linked below. [p]This method has many virtues: fast, simple, endless flavoring options (marinades, rubs, stuffings under the skin etc.), all delicious. If you try it with orange pellets, let us know how it turns out.[p]Cathy[p]
    [ul][li]Honey Mustard Chicken[/ul]
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Andrew Flashback,
    The BBQr's Delight pellets are designed to be used in a foil pouch, as TNW has indicated. If you would entertain trying other wood pellets they market, you can go to their website and order all the various types they market, plus a cookbook and a terra cotta pot, designed to hold their pellets, all for less than fifteen dollars, including S/H. (It may be even cheaper than I've quoted, it's been weeks since I ordered)

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Andrew Flashback,
    We just did a spatchcocked chicken last night with the sugar maple pellets. We did the foil pouch like the directions said on the package. It was very good. I thought the orange sounded good on fish...may do some of that next week.

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Andrew Flashback,
    I don't know anything about the pellets but I do know about wood chips. Just throw them on the fire or mix them in the lump. I don't know if it is possible to have too much smoke on an egg cook. The smoke always seem to go away after about an hour no matter what I do.
    Course I love the smell of wood smoke!
    Oak is the best in my opinion.

• Don F.
    Don F. Posts: 5
    Options
    ravnhaus,[p]you can have to much smoke flavor for some people. go
    easy on the stuff, the wife and kids do not like much
    smoke flavor. what is the web site for the pellets?[p]don f