Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Assembly of a Large

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone,[p]Since we are considering the purchase of an egg, this will likely be the first of a few posts. [p]We are weighing the pros and cons of ordering online vs purchasing locally, this in itself is an education, to say the least. If we choose to order online then we will have to do the assembly. Are these things hard to set up? [p]Although ignorant, I am assuming that the main issue is getting the spring bands on properly. We are looking at a large egg, is it a two man job?[p]I realize that the online vs local purchase has been partially addressed in the "barbeques.com" thread. We would prefer to purchase locally but it is not simple either. We will probably address that too in another post here.[p]So, for now. Can anyone shed some light on the assembly issues?[p] Thanks...Tom

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Tom,[p]First, you should go over to the new, beta forum by scrolling up and clicking on the link. There's a lot of conversation regarding internet purchases...I believe everything you want to know has been discussed as early as last night and this morning.[p]Regarding the two forums...They can see your posts but you can't see their responses from here.[p]Find a good BGE dealer to make your purchase from. You won't be sorry you paid a few bucks more. You will void your factory warranty if you purchase over the internet.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Tom,[p]First, you should go over to the new, beta forum by scrolling up and clicking on the link. There's a lot of conversation regarding internet purchases...I believe everything you want to know has been discussed as early as last night and this morning.[p]Regarding the two forums...They can see your posts but you can't see their responses from here.[p]Find a good BGE dealer to make your purchase from. You won't be sorry you paid a few bucks more. You will void your factory warranty if you purchase over the internet.
  • Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]Off I go to the new forum, thanks!!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If you are fairly strong and fairly handy, then you can assemble a large egg by yourself. Getting everything together in the proper order, adjusted and aligned properly, and all situated really isn't that difficult. But the egg is heavy.

Even if you buy from a local dealer, many of them still sell them unassembled unless you opt to purchase a delivery option. Others assemble them for you at the showroom, but loading, transporting, and unloading an assembled large egg (or getting one up a flight of steps to a deck for example) is a tough undertaking by yourself. It can be done, but you will feel it.

The bands come with the hinge assembly together. All you have to do it tighten the band around the base, then around the dome - don't forget the handle - and then insert the firebox, grate, and ring. Pretty simple process really.
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    Welcome Tom,

Hope you made it thru the sign in process.
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    Go to the BGE website and play the assembly video. That'll convince you of just how easy assembly really is for the large. On the XL you have to put the spring assembly together before install so theres a little more to it. Good luck!!
  • TandH
    TandH Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. It sounds doable, but with help.

Aside from the bands and spring, the rest looks pretty easy.

Tom
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Tom,

As DaynaGreaseball said this topic of buying online has been beaten to death in the last few days and in the last two weeks.

As for you specific question, here is my experience.

On my first purchase from a local dealer I did a High Temp on my first cook and fried my gasket. My dealer drove out to the house here and replaced the gasket for me, no charge. He didn’t need any help uninstalling or reinstalling the bands.

About 40 cooks later I again burned my gasket. My dealer brought out a new set of gaskets. No charge to me.

A month or so ago I got a new medium from the same dealer. I noticed a problem with the gasket and called my dealer. He came out and said the upper band must have slipped and installed a new gasket set. No charge to me.

I kept seeing smoke leaking from the rear of the gasket. We discovered it was a problem with the dome. BGE replaced the dome on my medium, a new gasket set and also I got a new Nomex gasket set for my large. Again, no charge to me.

Sure glad I didn’t buy on line or I would have become an expert on bands and such. So far no firsthand experience. From what I watched, one can do it by themselves. Be careful not to tip the egg or drop the dome - ouch!

Grandpas Grub
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    Now that's service!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Hopefully someone will post the picture of a person trying to get their egg up the patio stairs.

The egg was strapped to a hand truck, evidently the strap loosened or slipped and the egg is at the bottom of the stairs in pieces.

Very sad picture.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I have never had that level of service on anything I have purchased.

I was suprised, indeed and why I bought again from that dealer.

As eggs get more popular this topic will keep coming up especially as spring/summer hits.

I like deals as well as the next person. But from my experience, I am sure I have the warranty. Even if I had just had the parts replaced that would have been reason enough buying with a valid warranty. From reading the posts I am almost certain I will be needing a firebox or two at some point in time.

GG
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I consider myself pretty handy, so when the local dealer said he would rather assemble it himself, I asked why. He said that it was not really that hard but some would-be handy men have done it themselves and several did not get the top sealed to the bottom evenly and the egg had trouble maintaining constant heat.

The dealer had to make a trip out to their house to make the adjustments. They only charged $25 to assemble so I figured it was worth it.

Moving it is another issue all in itself. My wife and son are not as strong as they should have been to do that job.

I'm thinking of trying to fabricate some sort of lift for the Lg and XL to aid in transport.

Good Luck
    JoJo
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Tom, .......purchase locally and get the warranty.....dont´bother assemblying...this is a long term investment that has to be right from the beginning...that´s my humble oppinion
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Simple. Go to a dealer. Have him assemble, deliver and place for you. You eliminate more risk, headache, trouble, and satisfaction than a hundred bux is worth.
  • TandH
    TandH Posts: 13
    Options
    sold!!!! We'll let the pros set it up.

Thanks