Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I get a 'blackened' charcoal steak with a BGE?

Options
Big John
Big John Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everone,
I'm new to the forum and am seriously looking at ceramic grills. The main reason for getting one would be for grilling a steak like the better restaurants (Morton's, Ruth's etc.) I love it charcoal black on the outside and medium on the inside. Is a ceramic grill the answer here, or should I be looking at a another solution? I have a Webber gas grill, but only sometimes get close to what I'm looking for. I really appreciate your help! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    prtrhs1.jpg
    <p />Big John,
    Lets hope NatureBoy can post his pic of his awesome new york strip..that will sell you quickly based on what you said...but, yes to answer your question...700° to 1000°+ sear and then dwell or flip to your prefferred doneness..heres a pic of a porterhouse I did...[p]Wess

• Big John,[p]I like mine "Pittsburgh style." A little crusty on the outside and medium rare on the inside. Big Green Egg does this better than anything I have ever seen short of commercial equipment. I run the temp up to 750. I also use a product called Char Crust. It is availble in a number of "flavors." Sprinkle it liberally over both sides. Makes the outisde crusty and keeps the inside nice and juicy. For filet mignon cut at about 1 1/2 to 2 inches, I cook at 2 minutes, then flip and cook for 2 minutes. Then shut down the vents and let it dwell for 4 minutes. Then remove and put under aluminum foil to tent for 3 minutes. It is a fool proof recipe that works every time. The poeple who come to my house and eat this meal want to move in!![p]CharDawg
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    steaks.jpg
    <p />Yo Wess.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! These guys were actually nice strips of sirloin, done at 700-750 3 minutes a side with a 4 or 5 minute idle with bottom vent closed and meat off to the side. But probably not as charred as John is lookin for.[p]If Big John is talkin about the black Pittsburgh style, charred on the outside and red in the middle, I would suggest a true turbo fire with the thermometer lapped (like I do squid), and 3-4 minutes a side (depending on thickness), with no dwell. Maybe even remove the fire ring, and set the grate right on the firebox for a mega-sear close to the coals. Though with a roaring turbo fire, that should not be necessary.[p]Big fat steaks, and beers to you.
    Little over a week till pahtay time.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • regularguy
    Options
    Big John, we can't eat out and find a better steak (we just about stopped trying) check this flamed kissed ribeye

[ul][li]http://home.attbi.com/~rmathome/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-136378.html[/ul]
  • Big John
    Options
    CharDawg,
    Thanks CharDawg Your comments and those of the others that replied were very helpful. Sounds like the BGE is the answer I'm looking for. Also appreciate the Char Crust advice. Regards, Big John

• Big John
    Options
    WessB,
    Thank you - your comments and picure are convincing!

• Big John
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    You Guys are killing me with these great pictures. I'm going to have to start making a deal with my BGE dealer soon. I think I even have the wife convinced!
    Regards,
    Big John

• Big John
    Options
    regularguy,
    Thanks again....great pictures!

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Big John,[p]Ceramic or infra-red is the only way to go here. Although your Weber gasser is a fine grill, it doesn't have the horsepower to produce "Pittsburgh" style steaks. [p]Here's some experimentation I did a while back. We like them bleeding rare inside and torched outside. Simply cook them a little longer for medium. Warning---these extreme temps almost guarantee a cracked firebox.[p]K~G

[ul][li]Cleveland style steaks[/ul]
  • Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Options
    KennyG,
    When I asked my husband, a Pittsburgh native, if he was familiar with Pittsburgh steaks, he said that in Pittsburgh they just call them "steaks". Then I showed him your Cleveland-style steaks page and got a growl. Guess it's a steak showdown tonight.[p]

• Big John
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Thanks for the GREAT pictures, I have to show my wife. Any way around the cracked fire box?[p]Thanks,
    Big John

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Big John,[p]Back in the early days of the forum, a couple of us were experimenting with turbo temps for cooking. In this mode, it is almost impossible to avoid stress cracks in the firebox. If and when this happens, not to worry. As long as the firebox retains its original shape in the lower dome, it will cook just fine. I have the complete collection of Egg sizes and every one has a cracked firebox due to my abuse of it.[p]For excellent results every time, 600-650* is all you really need for steaks.[p]K~G

• janet,[p]Just tell him to fire me off an email if he needs help hehehe.[p]K~G