Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When to pull pork

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to do a few pork butts low and slow this weekend, and was wondering if it matters that the meat still be hot when I pull it, or does it matter? Any and all opinions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    Seth Howard,[p]Don't know for sure, but my best guess is that you'd want it hot. Here's why I say that: it seems to me that any fat, collagen, etc that's still in the meat would congeal and make it harder to pull when cold. You know how the fat gets all white and hard after cooked meat has been in the fridge awhile? I'm thinking the same kinda thing would happen 'cause there's still fat in the pork. [p]hopefully someone smarter than me will come along and help us both out! :)[p]--Kevin

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Seth Howard,[p]I let it cool just a bit (down from 195°). You can pull it hot or cold (I pulled some cold yesterday for lunch) but it's easier when it's still warm.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Ca_rnivore,
    I was wondering if that is why people wrap them in saran wrap for a few hours, to slow the cooling process, and then pull it while it is still warm or what. Maybe overthinking this one a bit, but what are ya gonna do?

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Seth Howard,
    I go to an internal of 200° or more..let it rest just sitting on the counter unwrapped for 30-60 minutes and then pull. you will find even waiting that long it gets pretty hot on the fingers when pulling, I wear some semi heavy rubber gloves...HTH[p]Wess

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    butt4.jpg
    <p />Seth Howard, I usually take it from the BGE to the cutting board and start pulling with two forks. Never found it too hot.[p]Good Luck! :~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]