Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

how big

omahaeggeromahaegger Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First off, I'm sorry if this question can be answered via search, but I'm currently woring and browsing the forums on my Moto Q, so searching is very cumbersome......But anyway, is there a guideline as too how much uncooked brisket or butt per serving for people, like say I'm trying to feed 12 people, how much brisket should I buy. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• RascalRascal Posts: 3,348
    With it's higher fat content, a butt will probably shrink a lot more than a brisket. I think the figure is about a 20% loss of total weight. I Egged a 4#, boneless butt the other day and it seems to be lasting forever! Grant it, I bought it at a local, gourmet butcher shop and paid over $3/lb. Using Elder Ward's rub recipe (TNW web site), it was by far the best butt I've cooked. I would think if you bought a piece in the 8# range, you'd have enough for 12 people with some leftovers for your fridge/freezer. Just make sure not to buy a brand (like Smithfield) that is injected with a water/saline solution! All that does is increase the shelf life (more $ for them & less taste for you) of the meat and lower it to the level of a soup kitchen. Good luck with your endeavors!

Rascal
  • Buster Dog BBQBuster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    12 people - any kids, how many men vs women? You could do 2 butts over a packer brisket which would be plenty of food.
  • BrocBroc Posts: 1,398
    Don't forget to invite Casey, me... our wives...

Hmmmmm.... You're up to 16...

Then there's Dawg, CraPaw...

Get a Big-'Un!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    2 8lb brisket flats should yeild you plenty of food. With sides and everything else.
    Slice thin. Stacks better.

73brisket3.jpg

Mike
  • I had my wife do an official count and its gonna be 10-11 adults and like 8-9 kids,

we just had a party with 8 adults and 2 large/old kids and I did a 12.2 lbs packer and like 1.5 lbs of polish sausage, and we had a little left over. So maybe a 12-13 lbs packer and a butt?? I havent cooked a butt yet, but I am this weekend.

How big is an average size butt, pork that is, not human ;)
  • NessmukNessmuk Posts: 251
    Looks like a perfect "10" in any KCBBS Contest.