Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BBQ Product = Awesome

Options
Squeeze
Squeeze Posts: 717
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know I have not been around much due to a very heavy work load but I have been cooking away on my egg. I have been playing with a new product that I got at the Eggtoberfest this past October and feel like I have to share this. There are a few of us eggheads that have one and can attest to how awesome it is. It is called the Culinary Prep. It is a commercial quality vaccuum tumbler that takes tumbling a step further and actually kills 99.5% of harmful bacteria and other nasty creatures in both your food and vegi's. I know that the Mother Ship is carrying them now and are worth checking out. It pulls a vaccuum so hard that it gets the marinade all the way to the bone on a pork butt. The health benifits are pretty cool too, especially when you see what the water looks like after you do chicken. BobbyQ has one and I am sure he can tell you how nice they are. Just thought I would share this find with you all.

-Kevin
Kevin Jacques
The University of Que L.L.C. ®
Killen, AL
www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    Squeeze wrote:
    I know I have not been around much due to a very heavy work load but I have been cooking away on my egg. I have been playing with a new product that I got at the Eggtoberfest this past October and feel like I have to share this. There are a few of us eggheads that have one and can attest to how awesome it is. It is called the Culinary Prep. It is a commercial quality vaccuum tumbler that takes tumbling a step further and actually kills 99.5% of harmful bacteria and other nasty creatures in both your food and vegi's. I know that the Mother Ship is carrying them now and are worth checking out. It pulls a vaccuum so hard that it gets the marinade all the way to the bone on a pork butt. The health benifits are pretty cool too, especially when you see what the water looks like after you do chicken. BobbyQ has one and I am sure he can tell you how nice they are. Just thought I would share this find with you all.

-Kevin

if you are interested

kevin, if you will, please post the ingredient amounts and/or percentages of the cleaning solution. they should be on the label. thanks.
    bill
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Have to give Bobby a call as this is the first time that it has been on the forum to the best of my knowledge.Is it offered from the Mother ship? If from another vendor please advise.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    http://www.culinaryprep.com/ googled it it looks pretty cool!
  • Squeeze
    Options
    Hi Bill

The "cleaning solution" is called Pro Prep. It is a colorless, tasteless mixture of salt, dextrose and citric acid (no exact measurements on the container). You add one pack of it to 64 ounces of water. It really does bring out the natural meat flavor too. They have a ton of other marinades that "clean" and flavor. I have a Garlic Herbed Spatchock chicken on right now. One of my favorites is Greek on Chicken Legs. Their website is www.culinaryprep.com for more detailed info.

-Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

• Squeeze
    Options
    No problem.
    Kevin Jacques
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    It is a very cool product indeed. I love mine and have been using the heck out of it at home. We're selling them in the store.

We had a class last night and the gentleman from the company was there and did a demo of it for us on some chicken. Everyone that was there could tell the difference between the straight chicken and the cleaned chicken.

There are 3 prominent EGGheads other than myself and Squeeze that are using them now and I'll let them tell you how they like them if they want folks to know they have them.

Give me a call if you'd like to hear more about it. 770-934-5300. I'm even thinkng of running a forum members only special on them.
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Sounds great Bobby-Q!
    I am interested in them and I hope you can put together some kind of deal for us.

Thanks,
    Ron.
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    ok so i went to the c-prep website and am still confused. how exactly does the thing kill 99.5% of the bacteria? it would appear that you are brining all food with a vaccuum as a more efficient delivery system for adding salt. please help me understand this thing.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    My Foodsaver came with a container that I use for marinading. I add marinade, meat, close and then use the vacuum to remove air and cause the marinade to be absorbed quicker. This device adds a tumbler. I don't see a reason to spend $400 to get one.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I, too, would like to learn more --

Thanks --

~ Broc

B):)B)
  • Squeeze
    Options
    I too have a food saver. I can say that it does not pull a true vaccuum. This thing does along with the health benefits I think it is well worth the money. It is very well made and can do a ton of food at one time. With the large size drum, you can do a 20lb turkey. My foodsaver will not do that.
    Kevin Jacques
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Interesting machine. This thread is the first I've heard of it. I have a couple questions for those of you using them:

1. Those little packets you use in with the water, how much do they cost apiece? Where does one buy them? I guess if this machine became a household appliance like the m/w, they would be everywhere. But in the meantime?

2. If you're tumbling lettuce for instance, wouldn't that bruise the lettuce?

3. What is the science or explanation behind why a cleaned chicken would taste different than one not put through the machine?

4. How long does the food have to tumble for it to be considered fully cleaned?

5. They mention meat and vegies on the website, what about fruits? Would something like berries be too delicate to go through it?

I'm sure I'll have more questions after I read the answers.

Thanks, I love learning about new things. I bought the foodsaver and Reynolds handivac this year and those have definitely improved the quality and flavor of foods I'm using them on.

Gwen
  • Nikonsal
    Nikonsal Posts: 23
    Options
    When I was a meat manager for Winn-Dixie years ago we used a very large ss commercial version of this. We would use different cuts of beef, pork, chicken, lamb and different marinates in seperate bags and place them all in the drum together and pull the vacuum, them place the drum on the unit and rotate it for 20-30 minutes. We cooked samples up and sales quickly went through the roof. Customers were hooked. They loved the different types of marinates that we used said meat cooked quicker and was much more tender. Then the company got rid of them when they found out that many unscrupulous managers were taking old meat meant to be reduced for quick sale and was taking this meat and marinating it and now charging more for it (when you take a brown piece of meat and pull the vacuum with the marinate penetrating the muscle it would bloom bright red looking fresh for a short time).
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    One of my comments was going to be I wonder if this will cause people to be less careful about the meat they use.

In addition to the questions I posted above, which I would love to have answered (hint hint), I will also add: Does it do away with toxins? For instance, if vegies have been grown in soil heavily fertilized and pesticized, will the machine also get rid of that unwanted stuff in the vegies?

Gwen
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    Good questions Gwen. I am wondering the same thing. I don't understand how a vacuum alone would remove or clean anything. Seems like it just adds the salt, citric acid, and dextrose solution and the vacuum helps this get into the meat much better, which I am sure is good for marinating, but I don't see how this alone will kill or remove all the harmful contaminants. Also, I don't see how the solution can be tasteless when it contains those ingredients. At a minimum you will significantly raise the level of salt, sugars, and carbs in your meals, which might be a bad thing once you also add your normal marinades. If there is some special science behind it then I am definitely interested in a unit, otherwise I will pass. Either way this is a good thread and thanks for sharing.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    I just did some quick research on the Culinary Prep product. Their website mentions that it uses the "Grovac Process" to clean the food and make it healthier. There is a separate website which describes the Grovac Process but neither site gives any detail at all about how or why it works. This comes across with an infomercial feel to it: they tell you all the magic wonders the product will do but the details are pretty thin, either because it doesn't really work that well or because it is relatively simple and/or possible via other products.

So I did a quick search and sure enough there seems to be an identical product on Amazon for $145 including free shipping (click here). The Amazon item has 48 reviews with an average rating of 4.5 stars so it seems that it does indeed do something valuable, although most of the comments are about marinading in less time vs. cleaning the food or making it more healthy. I hope someone can shed light on the claims about killing bacteria and eliminating free radicals. If this works then I might try the Reveo unit from Amazon - the price is right and I wouldn't feel too bad about losing $150 if all it did was marinate my food better.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Sorry for the triple post but I wanted to share this. I did some more research on the Reveo MariVac Food Tumbler and found overwhelming information that it is indeed a great product for marinating food in 20 minutes or less. There are lots of excellent reviews and even a few videos on the net:
    Stock, Lock & Roll, Instructions & Marinade Recipes, Demo

As far as I can tell the only difference between the Culinary Prep unit and the Reveo is the price and the solution. If the CP unit has some special solution for cleaning then you can just order it and use it with the Reveo unit. So I had pretty much decided on getting a Reveo unit for the marinating purpose alone, and then I found another site that had it on sale for $149.95 with free shipping and they include a free set of 4 Chicago Cutlery steak knives! This was a clincher for me, my unit is on the way. I will let you know how it works.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I am very interested in this also. But have wondered if the meat was going to be like the chicken and pork in the store that is "enhanced" with a saline solution? so it "tastes fresher longer and is more tender and juicy?" We have started buying fresh from the farm for our meat to get away from all of that and I like this idea but not if it takes me full circle :pinch: Julie
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Not that I use it every day, but when I do it makes an amazing difference.....You can't even begin to imagine what it pulls out of raw shrimp..... :) So far I have absolutely no complaints...
  • WessB
    Options
    It is a result of the prep solution you tumble the food in......the process is called "Grovac"...if you read through some of the literature on the website it explains how this process works...they have some pretty good references to prove it works as stated...
  • WessB
    Options
    The marivac and or a foodsaver do not pull as deep of a vacuum as the culinary prep...I'm not trying to convince you to buy one...but if your going to throw comparison products out here, you should at least point out the differences....I sold my marivac when I bought the culinary prep, and am very pleased with it...one other point would be the optional "large drum" with the prep machine...I got a 20# turkey in mine...you're not going to do that with the marivac...
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Good points Wess. I did notice that the CP has an extra large drum option and and also some plastic inserts which go inside the drum to keep foods separated. For my use I won't need the extra large drum and I couldn't justify spending $250 more just for the inserts or the brand name. It is interesting to hear about the vacuum comparison. I wonder if both companies will give ratings on the pump so we can compare the level of vacuum which can be obtained. I will check the pump on my Reveo unit and post the results after I have used it a bit, although I am sure it will be worth the money considering all the positive reviews on Amazon and the web.

Did you have any trouble with the Reveo which made you get a CP, or was it just the larger drum option? Also, did you find a good source for buying the CP Prep solution packets? They are a little pricey on their website at $30 for 18 packets and I couldn't find it anywhere else. I might make my own if needed since the only active ingredients are salt and citric acid...
  • WessB
    Options
    The plastic inserts are not there to seperate foods, they are part of the grovac process....the food is repeatedly dunked in the solution then exposed to the vacuum...dunked, exposed, dunked, exposed...you get the idea...
    CP claims 27" of vacuum...I don't remeber what reveo claims...
    And yes my initial interest was based mainly on the larger drum...but the grovac process pushed me over the edge on the decision..
    Hopefully the prep's will come down in price once they get more popular...
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Wess - I did look for more info on the Grovac Process but all I could find was a generic description and some charts which were supposedly from independent lab test reports. I didn't find the actual lab reports, a complete step-by-step definition of the process, a complete list of prep solution ingredients including ratios, or any technical info to explain why or how the bacteria and other organisms are killed. If I have missed that info then please post the links.

Based on what I did find, I think it is primarily the salt and citric / ascorbic acid which kills many of the common bacteria. The dextrose is only for flavor and the vacuum / tumbling just help to get the solution inside the meat thus it kills more bacteria vs. just surface washing. This is a good thing but I am doubtful that the solution alone will kill all of the harmful things that might be in meat. It seems likely that a significant portion of bacteria would survive and other organisms might not be impacted at all by the solution. Bottom line is that I would feel better about the health claims if they would post more detail but I still think the device is worth getting just for the marinading feature alone.

Also, I did find a powdered solution of dextrose and citric / ascorbic acid at Walmart today. It is in the baking aisle near the powdered sugar and it is marketed as "Fruit Fresh" for keeping fruits and vegetables fresh. I used it years ago when dehydrating meat and food so I know that it does work, although I never thought about using it as a marinade to clean meat and add flavor. I picked up a bottle and will mix it with salt and my normal rub or marinade spices to make a solution for my Reveo when it first gets here. At $3 per bottle this costs a whole lot less than the $2 single-use packets sold by CP. I just need to figure out the optimal balance of ingredients and it should work the same or even better. Will let you all know once the Reveo arrives.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Update on the Reveo Marivac unit:

It arrived earlier this week but I was too busy with work to mess with it. I finally opened it recently and it was packed better than any other product I have ever ordered through the mail. There was a cardboard shipping carton, thick cardboard product carton, very solid foam mold about 4-6" thick on the exterior in most places, plastic liner bags, then finally the unit itself. My first impressions on unpacking and setting it up:
    [ol]
    [li]The tumbler jar is bigger than I had expected and much thicker / heavier as well. Feels like it will take years of abuse and keep working fine.[/li]
    [li]The jar lid has an excellent quality double-rubber seal and a nice stainless valve. Obviously they designed this thing the right way without scrimping on cost.[/li]
    [li]The base unit was pretty bulky and a little heavy. Made me wonder why since I figured it just needed a small vacuum pump and a motor to turn the tumbler wheels. I have limited counter space so I won't be able to leave this out all the time but I might be able to find a home for it in a low cupboard.[/li]
    [li]The control panel is very simple: Power, Marivac, and Tumble are the only buttons.[/li]
    [/ol]

So I described the product to the wife and she was not impressed. She basically ignored it like it was another one of my computer or tool gadgets which she has absolutely no interest in. I had some boneless chicken breasts in the refrigerator which we had marinated for a few hours in a ziploc baggie just like we have done so many times before. I dumped the contents of the baggie into the Reveo jar along with 3 cups of warm water and some of the Fresh Start powder mentioned above to clean and tenderize the meat. I put the lid on, connected the vacuum line, and pressed the Marivac button. The vacuum pump has a very deep powerful sound like a compressor in a garage, not the shrill whine of a smaller cheap pump, so now I know why the base unit is so large and heavy. It took maybe 5 minutes to complete the vacuum seal in the jar and during this process I could see air bubbles and gunk coming out of the chicken and foaming on the surface of the meat. This was kind of gross but I was glad it was coming out and not going the other way.

After the vacuum seal was completed I closed the valve in the lid, removed the vacuum hose, and tumbled for 20 minutes per the chart in the Reveo book. At first the chicken was the usual raw pink color and the marinade solution was frothy, but after 10 minutes of tumbling the chicken was mostly white and the solution was flat. At the end of the 20 minutes there seemed to be almost half of the solution missing - I was amazed how much had been forced into the chicken. Took the meat out and dumped the solution then went out to the grill. I was out of lump so I had to go back to the old Weber gas grill tonight. Normally chicken comes out a bit dry and a little rubbery on this grill so I was curious to see if the Reveo would make a difference. I sprinkiled it with a touch of rub and cooked it on the highest heat setting for 12 minutes per side and then pulled it off. I could tell right away that something was different since little pockets of juice had formed on top of the chicken and it was so tender that it would flake apart when I tried to lift it off the grill with tongs. Took it inside and let it cool for 5 minutes then we dug into it. I was pretty impressed. Lots of juice, in fact so much so that the chicken literally glistened in the light at any angle, and a small puddle of juice formed on the plate while I was eating. There was a good bit more flavor too and you could see how the chicken was slightly colored all the way through from the marinade, not just on the outside like it would normally be. The wife doesn't like to eat a lot of meat but after tasting this chicken her first question was "so what does that thingie do to the food again?" She was as impressed as I was and she cleaned her plate.

So my verdict is that the Reveo unit is an awesome product indeed, especially for BGE users that cook a lot of meat. It is high quality, quick and easy to use, and it makes a big difference in moisture levels, flavor, and tenderness. I think my wife would agree as well since her next question was "can you make my scallops with that thingie tomorrow night?" Even the dog liked it, but then again I don't think he is too picky when it comes to chicken fresh off the grill. I can hardly wait to get more lump and taste Reveo-prepared meat cooked on the egg... :)
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Another quick note:

The special deal which I linked to above included a free seat of Chicago Cutlery walnut steak knives. I was expecting these to be a cheap low-priced model since they were free but they were the real deal. They sell for $30 per set on the web and they worked just fine on the chicken tonight, not that I needed a knife to cut it but I used them anyway to see how well they would perform. Overall an excellent purchase, can't wait to use it again tomorrow.