Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A little rib advice??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so I'm doing 6 slabs of babybacks for a family function on Sunday around noonish. My question is would I be better off to get up really early and do the ribs and oh, yea I'm hauling them about 35 minutes, or should I do them on Saturday evening and wrap them after they are done and take them cold and warm them up when I get there. Any advice regarding pros and cons would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    have done em both ways...pro for getting up really early is it is a really good opportunity to mix up a batch of bloody mary's to sip on for bfast while you do the cook ;) ..going that far even if you wrap em in foil and towel you will prolly need to warm them a lil bit..they warm up pretty good..I've even made em and eaten em the next day..so it's really what you prefer to do imho...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'm a morning person, so I'd be inclined to start early in the morning.

Wrapped tight in foil, and then towels, in a cooler, they will almost like straight of the grill.

For re-heats, I've had good results stopping the ribs just before they would be finished, foiling, and then finishing in a hot oven with the foil open.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I hate mornings!!! BUT I have never had pork that was near as good reheated as it is hot/warm. If you use the 3-1-1 method you can time it real close.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What I have done in such cases is prepare the ribs the night before and wrap in saran wrap.
    Prepare the Egg the night before too. Have it ready to light when you get up in the morning.

Start the fire at 6:00, Ribs on at 6:30, cook em in a rib rack and let them go untouched until 11:00 when you can sauce them. Take 'em off at 11:30, foil 'em, wrap with a towel and put them in a cooler till you want to eat them. If it's 35 minutes away, you can be there as early as 12:05 with ribs fresh off the grill!

The times are approximate and believe it or not, there is some fluff built in. You can also do this with the 3-1-1 (or whatever variation you choose) but it's more work, more times to pay attention to and maybe slightly more stressful.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'll echo what the others have said: Get up a little early, do the ribs 3-1-1, then wrap in foil and towels to keep warm while taking them to your shindig. You might even be able to shorten the last stage a bit given that you're going to wrap them...that will keep them cooking a bit longer.
  • Keithww
    Keithww Posts: 62
    Options
    When I would cook for large groups, we would put cooked meat in to igloo coolers to keep it hot, then give it just a minute on the grill to finish before serving. A cooler preheated with a couple of gallon milk jugs of boiling water 1 hour before use, will help the ribs hold their temp. Just be sure to put a couple of towels under the hot water, and then leave them for the ribs.