Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold smoking Andouille sausage

Options
CC
CC Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have tips on cold smoking Andouille sausage for Med.BGE?
Like the best wood the temps and ect.
CC

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    CC,
    Be sure to click the link above to check for answers to your post. It'll take you over to the new beta forum where most everyone has already moved.

• CC
    CC Posts: 8
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one method.

Sausage, Andouille, Homemade

HOW TO MAKE ANDOUILLE AND BOND WITH YOUR EGG!!

INGREDIENTS:
    2 1/2 lbs boneless pork butt, 1/2-inch pieces
    1/2 lb pork fat, cut into pieces
    1/4 cup Essence, recipe follows
    2 Tbs paprika
    1 Tbs minced garlic
    1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp file powder
    3/4 tsp chili powder
    3/4 tsp crushed red pepper
    1/2 tsp ground cumin

Procedure:
    1 Combine the pork, pork fat, Essence, paprika, garlic, black pepper, salt, file, chili powder, red pepper, and cumin in a large bowl and mix well. Pass through a food grinder fitted with a coarse die. (Alternately, transfer in 2 batches to a food processor and process until finely ground.) Transfer to a large bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
    2 To test the seasoning, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small skillet, and cook about 2 teaspoons of the mixture. Adjust seasoning, to taste.
    3 Using the sausage attachment on a mixer, stuff the meat into the casings, if being used. Twist and tie off to make 4-inch sausages. Alternately, shape into patties.
    4 Preheat a home smoker to 250 degrees F. Smoke the sausage for 11/2 hours. Remove from the smoker and use as desired.

Recipe Type
    Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Pharmeggist, 2007/01/07
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Richard,

That looks like Emeril Lagasse's recipe. I've made it and it's not bad> Needs cayenne though. I know that there is some in the essence.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cc
    cc Posts: 2
    Options
    Hay like the snow egg. Can't use mine outside...The old 1996 clay model stays in the garagewhen it was new.About this sausage...tell me more  on your smokingtechnique.  
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Well I could tell ya but then I'd hafta kill ya. Seriously there are a bunch of ideas out there, coffee cans and briquettes and stuff. What I do is just fill that little void under the fire grate with lump and wood chunks and light it. I get whatever I'm smoking up high in the dome and just let it go. The egg, although its an old one just seems to zero in about 180 or so.

Steve

P.S. More cayenne

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cc
    cc Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been BBQ since early '80's...the expertise you and I have can surely can
    exchange a few techiques. However....sawdust or chips would you use
    for smoking my homemade Andouille sausage? Dry chips or wet?
    Is 180 degree to hot? I guess a little lower temp would be better....what
    do you think?
    CC
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I've done it on a large BGE,and the trick seemed to be starting with a very cold egg (it was about 30 degrees the day I did it) and then lighting a very small fire so that the temp slowly rises and the meat spend a good deal of time below 140 degrees. If it gets too hot to fast then the fat renders out and you have dry sausage.

I filled the firebox about 1/3 full, light one fist-sized lump of charcoal with a torch, set it in the middle of the firebox and surrounded it with 3 or 4 smaller pieces of hickory. It took almost 2 hours for the dome to get to 90 degrees, and another hour to get over 140. Then I let it go to 225 , got it stabilized at and held it there until the meat hit 160 internal. Very tasty.

Dave

http://www.ramblekatz.com/BGE.html
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • db
    db Posts: 37
    Options
    A while back, at the Kansas City BBQ Store, I lit a large in the center of the lump and after it started to climb in temperature, I completly closed the air intake and had the daisy wheel cracked a little. I smoked jerky at 140 degrees for the next four hours. You might give it a try.
    db
  • Little Steven
    Options
    CC,

I would use small chunks dry. Hickory and or pecan or Tobasco barrel chips.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON