Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

want to buy an bge but ?

Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
some one told me that the egg will crack if you cook in the rain when the bge is hot ??

Comments

• steve,
    I have used my egg at 800* when it was 10* outside, and in the pooring rain, etc. It is virtually indestructible, I say virtually because I do not know of any cracking problems simply related to cooking. Many people have tipped them over, but that is another story. Hope this helps.

• mike
    mike Posts: 152
    steve,[p]I have an original Kamado pot that was bought when I was 12 yrs old. We have cooked in the rain, snow, <bbqing in snow is fun> etc....[p]I have had the grill personaly now for almost 6 yrs. I have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER used the plastic cover to cover it up to "protect" it from the rain, or cold. I refuse to. The only thing I do is make sure the chimney top is closed all the way before I leave it. <after cooking> That way, rain water cannot fall "into" the grill itself and mold, etc..etc..[p]Well........I am 30yrs old now, so that's 18 yrs of weather, and not a crack one!!!!!! Nada, nothing. No cracks at all. I did crack the firebox on the inside though. I was moving, had it on the back of the truck, unsecured, and hit a bump in the road. It cracked cleanly into two pieces. That was 4yrs ago, and have not replaced it yet.[p]Further more, As soon as my Kamado pot DOES get too old to use anymore, I plan on upgrading to the BGE.........however, I TRULY believe I will be well into my 40's before that happens. [p]
  • elFloyd
    elFloyd Posts: 50
    steve,[p]I've had my BGE for five years, cooking in all types of weather including snow storms and thunder storms. (Sorry, guess I am a bit of a fanatic). No problems with cracking at all.[p]Regards,
    elFloyd

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    steve,[p]Rain is no problem. Heck, I even cooked a turkey in the middle of storm that was rain, hail, rain, hail... The only problem was not being able to see the dome thermometer through all the steam! Best dang turkey I've cooked yet.
    Go for the BGE, you'll never regret it.[p]--Kevin[p]
    --

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    steve,
    It will? Gee, I sure wish someone would have told me that last Thursday when I was smoking a pork butt and it was coming down like a cow on a flat rock! As you've seen, this is an ungrounded assumption.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    steve,
    Like the posts below (and the ones I'm sure will come later) I've done turbo (800º+), low 'n' slo, and everything in between. Ol' Mr. Egg is looking as good as the day I brought him home.

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    snowegg.jpg
    <p />steve,
    That's smoke coming out of the egg during a snowstorm. The only problem with cooking in the rain is your going to get wet. Frozen or wet the rain will not hurt your BGE.

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    steve,
    Don't you just love trolling season.......

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    steve,
    Amen to everyone below. Mr. Egg does what the post office used to brag about: deliver the goods in rain, snow and dark of night. One accessory you may want is a coffee can with holes poked in the sides - put it upside down over the daisy wheel when it gets raining or snowing too hard.

• Gordy
    Gordy Posts: 49
    Mr Beer,
    Reminds me of a ice store here in Atlanta a few years ago. Woke up, no power, no power - no coffee! Brewed the Joe (Millstone Coffee - thank God I had some trial packs that were already ground) on Humpty. Coffee was done and there was still ice on top of the BGE - Now that's insulation.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Mr Beer,
    I love that photo.[p]SC