Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FL Eggfest-Getting prepped-need your thoughts

Scotty's Inferno
Scotty's Inferno Posts: 624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I can say that today I officially started prepping for the fest. I cherry smoked some Cabot Cheddars to share throughout the day. I have some mandarin/teriyake jerky going now, that truthfully may not make it through the end of the day tomorrow! Bottom line, I'll make more.

I also plan to do Russell's Smoked Salmon before the fest and serve that in chunks(at the request of LazyDogSaloon). I may have a salmon spread up my sleeve.

However, I'll have a few hours to cook during the fest and don't know what to do. I'd like to cook something that no one else is cooking, but will have limited time on my eggs to do so. I'll have a mini and a small. My mini is probably open all day, but my small is being shared. So my questions are,

1) What was one of your favorite dishes from another fest that I can cook in 2-3 hours?

2) If you are coming to the Fl Fest, have you decided what you are going to cook? Like me, many were undecided when they registered.

3) Can you believe Spring Chicken and Spring Hen are coming to Florida? He can light our eggs at 2:26 am since he'll be up then!

4) What is the lastest setup on indirect cooking with the mini?

Thanks, Scott

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Your friend Wendy did these 2 years ago, but she is lost. Dessert, Banana Foster, Wendy Denny #1

Make these for two or make them for a hungry army.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 9 x 11 Uncovered foil pan.
    10 Bananas, Peeled, Sliced Lengthwise
    1 Can, Large Crushed Pineapple in juice, don't drain
    1 12 Ozs. Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips, NESTLE Brand
    1 12 Ozs. Carmel Chips, almost all
    1 Pint or so Strawberries, Cut Up
    1 Jar or so Maraschino Cherries
    1 Pkg. Small Marshmallows
    1 Cup or so Nuts, ChoppedWalnut/Pecan or whatever you want

Procedure:
    1 Put the bananas in the bottom of the pan. They can be slightly layered since they cook down a bit. Layer the other ingredients to cover the bananas. The order probably doesn't matter much as long as you end with the marshmallows. Throw a few choc. chips around the marshmallow for color.
    2 I cooked these on a small BGE at 350°F for 20-25 minutes. Fold up the corners of the pan if it doesn't quite fit in the grill. Check to make sure chocolate chips are melting. We bumped up the temp right at the end to brown the marshmallows a bit. Watch closely, though, so they don't burn or get too crisp. Don't try to skimp by using cheap paper plates for serving this. Bowls are better. Big Bowls!

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Dessert

Recipe Source
    Author: Wendy Denny

Source: Florida Eggfest '06, Wendy Denny

This dessert is a very special dessert. A Cub Scout leader/friend and mom of two

boys shared her recipe for individual banana boats. She taught her den to make

them in foil on the open fire at camp outs, and you can guess where everyone

congregated when the boys pulled them off the fire. Rosana died, courageously,

three years ago from a very aggressive breast cancer. She would have loved to

know that we were enjoying this dessert on a larger scale. For Rosana (and for all of

you who want a great dessert from the grill).
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    1. Max's Italian Burger ohhh wait Morro Bay Rich's Tri-Tip,, no... AZRP's Spicy Shrimp, Nooo wait Shrimp Burgers, nooo AlaskaC Salmon.. Ohhhh Hell it's alll good.

2. Yes I decided.. Just haven't told egret what the recipe is yet.. One of the things I am cooking was decided for me :woohoo:

3. Only if he has bolt cutters.. They will be chained together... :silly:

4. Haven't a clue.

Cook what you want.. If there are duplicates ohhh well..
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Trust me, at 2:26 AM this Chicken is going to be plugged into the hotel recharging device. Or at least that's the plan. I'm still in recovery mode so I'm leaving the cooking to Spring Hen and our friend, Wanda B. I'm sure they can come up with something while I'm testing the rum.

See you there.

Spring "Switching To Auto Pilot" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Celtic Wolf
    Speak of which.. I'll be bringing the Appleton's
  • Richard Fl
    Don't ruin his fine coke with that good island liquid.
  • Celtic Wolf
    My Appleton's V/X is not allowed anywhere near any cola product.
  • Richard Fl
    Neither are my single malts. Had a party in the '80's and a neighbor mixed Johnney Walker Black with Bloody Mary mix. Needless to say he was not invited back.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    1) I heard about a lot of really good stuff, but missed out on most of it... :(

2) Are you kidding, LOL??? We have a good few ideas floating around, but still have to narrow things down a bit. Since we'll be packing up the trailer and as much as we can this weekend, we'll have to decide, but looks like it's going to come down to the wire :woohoo:

3) Glad to see the Chickens coming, but CW is right... :silly:

4) Never tried it...you can share our eggs if you want to, and use a bigger one for the indirect cook if you'd like.

See you soon,
  • Sounds like some high quality liquid is going to be showing up. Looks like I might have to bring some vino.