Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been invited to cook at the local BGE retailer in town. A BGE rep will also be there cooking. Two larges will be set up. It's a 6-9 pm event. I'm thinking of preparing a low and slow (either brisket or a butt) the day before and a couple fatties but was looking for suggestions for the evening. Fidel - the salmon you posted this evening looks like a great candidate for a short demonstration cook - tuna would work too. Bananas Belinese or Bananas Foster are also on my list. I may go over about noon and put on a half dozen slabs of ribs.

Any suggestions for some 15-30 minute cooks would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Any dos or don'ts for an evening like this?

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Pizza and Quesadillas...great for a large crowd to sample ;) ..oh..and maybe ABTs w/pulled pork in them :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I personally would do wings. You can stagger them on two tiers and pretty much have finished product coming off every 20 minutes or so - so you can have some done right at six, but continue putting more on every 20-30 minutes. Just cook them hot at 450 and toss in sauce after done.

Salmon or any firm fish will work great.

The AZRP Spicy shrimp are quick and easy to cook, especially if you have a holy wok or screen to cook them in.

You can also do some pre-prep and cook Little Steven's chicken satay. They cook quick, but you will need to prep them and make the sauce in advance.

Any kind of kabobs would be good too. Pork tenderloin medallions.

Anything that will make plenty of finger foods will serve a great purpose at an event like this.

Flat iron steaks are relatively inexpensive and can be cut into thin slices to serve as well. They cook in 8-10 minutes at 600-650*.

Good Luck!!!
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    Might do AZRP's Spicy Shrimp. Expensive, but never fails to dazzle 'em. ABT's could be cookin' at the same time. Maybe some Pig Candy. Finish with bananas foster.

Man, I wanna go too!
  • tarheel
    tarheel Posts: 15
    Options
    Where are you doing this demonstration?
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    You may not have much room to prep. Also, you wont want to have to worry about increasing/lowering temps.

Pork tenderloin is cheap and goes a long way. Some ABT'S can be done at about the same temp along with some chicken. When you pull that you can put on some pineapple.

The other egg, pizza might work well. That would give a pretty good demo of versatility between the two. I wouldn't worry about pulled pork or brisket.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    my opinion is [often meaningless but] that you need to keep food coming off the egg rapidly so they do not loose interest. shrimp, kabobs, wings, yakitori, grilled asparagus, grilled pineapple. things that are prepped ahead and stored in a cooer and ready to go on the egg. marinated london broil cooked at 500 or so does not take long either. grilled green beans, i have not done it yet but banans foster at night with flames would make a show. if you want to demonstrate low slow smoked have some ribs ready to take off the one as guests arive and do some fatties and a small chickens on that one while doing the quick stuff on the other. sounds like fun takes pics please
    bill
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    I like teriyaki chicken skewers. Many times when you
    get them, they are torched into oblivion. On the egg,
    they come out tender and flavorful.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I take some pics.

Tarheel - The demo is next Wednesday in Houma, La. at Outside and Inn http://www.outsideandin.com/