Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carcinogens

bandit007
bandit007 Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Witch is healthy lump or coal? Can cooking 5 times a wk on egg be healthy?

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    NO. Sell your Egg and all the Eggcessories. No red meat. Consider veganism. Don't walk too near any busy streets.
  • IMHO I do not believe Cooking on the Egg 5 times a week or more would be a problem. It is what, how we cook and how much we eat of it.

There are a number of web sites that you can goggle but most will say eating a substantial amount and cooking your meats at high temp so that they are overcooked.

Heck if you are going to ruin a good piece of meat whether it be beef, pork or chicken stay with the gas grill

Just my thoughts
  • CyberDawg
    CyberDawg Posts: 38
    Like it or not, there ARE harmful carcinogens that are produced during grilling. They have nothing to do with lump or charcoal though.

The problem stems from harmful compounds that are created when fat is heated to high temperatures. To cut down on these compounds, avoid the high temp searing of the Trex method. (it doesn't matter about the doneness per se, only the temp of the sear) Go with a more low temp method and you'll save your gasket too.

The indirect cooks are much better, so bbq scores well in this regard. Again, the carcinogens have nothing to do with the type of fuel or amount of wood smoke. (although smoke created from the burning of fat on the coals IS A CONCERN)

Best to place a drip pan under your food with water to stop the fat burning issue.

The human body is designed to absorb and neutralize these kind of carcinogens, so if you eat them in moderation, it's not that big of an issue.

If you cook up a big Trex, you might want to eat some blueberries and broccoli and take a few strong antioxidants just for safety's sake. B)
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    This question crops up every so often and after lots of discussion it fades away. HAs a lot to do with burning grease as I recall. Gassers burn grease Eggs don't.

Nobody sells their Egg(s) and we all chug along as usual. But, if it is a concern for you, send me your address and I'll be happy to help you get healthy and take your Egg to live with my Eggs.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i bet its heathier than what i used to cook indoors, fried spam, ramen pride, campbells soup, atleast im now controlling what goes into my food. fresh vegatables, more different types of meat, fish, herbs, light on the salt compared to prepared canned foods etc. well actually i do still fry spam on occasion. lettuce and rice cakes are NOT going to kill me someday
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Hey, Carey! How kind and thoughtful of you! :woohoo:
    Gonna miss you next week :(
  • CyberDawg
    CyberDawg Posts: 38
    (Oops, this should have been under Sundown's post)

Perhaps we don't WANT this issue to be true, but it is. It just takes a little preparation and attention to reduce the risk though.

Apparently, the carcinogens come both from burning fat on coals and from the creatine in the meat protein.

The GOOD news, is that several methods can reduce the problem as much as 90%. One is to avoid the high temperatures. Staying under 350 degrees helps.

Marinating the meat with spices can cut the risk by 90%, especially when the marinade contains antioxidant compounds found in rosemary, thyme, oregano, garlic, citrus juices, and even vinegar. One study showed that tart cherries can reduce the carcinogens by 95%. Try blending tart cherries into your marinade in place of the normal sugar. (I've done this and the marinade is actually quite good, and keeps the meat juicier. It also lasts longer in the fridge)

The antioxidants in these ingredients soak up and neutralize the bad compounds. Another great method is to add vitamin e to the marinade. So squeeze a couple of capsules into the marinade, or better yet, you can buy liquid vitamin e at many health food stores.
  • While what we eat does have a cause and effect relationship on our health, one needs to remember that our genectic makeup does as well.

I work on my family genealogy as a hobby and have found that there is no history of heart desease or known cancers anywhere. There was some diabetes in one branch a few generations back but none now. I suffer from asthma as did my maternal great grandmother and a few cousins from that blood line. My mother's parents and grandparents were midwest farm families and I am sure they ate their share of meat and eggs and whold milk but the worked hard running the farms. I can vividly remember my paternal grandfather (an old Englisman) having tea and thickly buttered toast at 4pm every day, he also loved the fat on the side of a roast beef slice and he lived to be 96!
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Shucks! It twarnt nuthin'.

Gonna miss being there too. Been down with a major cold and couldn't fly just yet anyway. This seems to happen almost every year in the late winter. Think maybe I caused a little stir?
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    I've read what you have had to say about carcinogens. My question is what/where do you base your statements of fact on, and your recommendations?
    Hammer
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    I have evidence which supports that saliva, swallowed in small quantities over an extended period of time, will eventually lead to death. So I figure that using my Egg 4 or 5 times a week won't really matter.
  • pyro
    pyro Posts: 47
    We are all going to die from something. The enjoyment and stress reduction from eating delicious meals preparred on the BGE are also worth something to life longevity.