Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Shrimp/Crawfish Gumbo & French Bread

Options
gthom
gthom Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Making the Roux
111947735_o.jpg

Chicken Stock Going
111948014_o.jpg

The Cooktop
111947758_o.jpg

Adding the Trinity
111947788_o.jpg

French Bread Ready for the Egg
111948034_o.jpg

Breads Done
111948055_o.jpg

After 3 Hours Simmering, added the shrimp and crawfish
111948076_o.jpg

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Looks really good, but try it on the egg next time :laugh:

Stove!!! You don't need no stinkin' stove!! :silly:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Looks good. I did a gumbo post in the Woosday thread just yesterday.

http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=414488&catid=1

I was just curious, you mentioned 3 hours of simmering...once my base is assembled in a stockpot I go less than an hour, then maybe 15 minutes more once the raw seafood is added. Did your 3 hours include making the stock from scratch and the reduction?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    That looks wonderful. Have not had any gumbo in a while. Did a wild duck and shrimp a few months ago that was great. Love the kitchen. Is that in your home or some kind of intertainment bar?
  • gthom
    Options
    About 3 hours after mixing the roux into the stock. It takes a lot of patience to let it go that long!!!!! (Roux took about 30 minutes) I've found that the longer you can keep it to a low boil, the thicker it becomes and the more flavor it brings out of the roux.

And for some reason, it always tastes better the next day!
  • gthom
    Options
    it's my kitchen. We just built a custom home about 10 months ago. We tried to find small ways to make each room special and stand out. The kitchen is probably the centerpiece of the whole house. I'll post a few more pics tonight (not to flaunt it or show it off, but to give you some ideas in case you ever decide to build).
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    The gumbo looks good! All it needs is to be eat, along with some good bread and a cold PBR!
    OH! As CW said, try it on the Egg next time, and use some of the OZARK Oak you and I discussed.
    Hammer
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    That gumbo and bread looks really really good. Great color on the roux. I'm sure the aroma in the house was incredible. Makes me want to pull out Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen.
    Thanks for the pictorial.... now I'm hungry.

john