Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table for the BGE ?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
We did some ribs with JJ's rub last night. 1/2 with JJ's rub, and 1/2 with JJ's rub + buttermilk + mustard. They were both great, but the rub/buttermilk/mustard ribs were a litle better.[p]I was contemplating a table for the BGE. I can either buy the table that BGE sells or build my own.
The BGE supplier in my area didn't have one a BGE table in stock for me to examine.
He told me the BGE's wood looks like cedar, but he thinks it's too light wieght to be cedar....he also said the wood doesn't appear to be treated.
*Has anybody bought the table that BGE sells?
*If so, could you tell me about it?

*Any advice if I build it myself (type of wood, style, etc)?
-I have access to redwood deck if that would be a good wood to use.[p]Bottom line:
As it stands now, if I built my own it would be similar in style to the table sold by BGE.
I'm looking for opinions if I should buy BGE's table or build my own (without violating BGE forum rules).[p]Thank you and have a great weekend![p]tcpool

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    engmodel.jpg
    <p />tcpool,
    I'm not sure how we could be violating forum rules by discussing how to build a table. Visit my website for a painfully detailed photo account of how I built my table. Granted, you need lots of advanced tools like my space blaster if you want to build a table like mine, but if I were you, I'd build your own table and get it like you want it. I'm sure some of the other table builders will chime in with photos. I've posted a photo of my engineering model that I used to design my table. Here's the link to my website:

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Cart page[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    tcpool,
    One more thing, I would be remiss if I didn't advise you to use plenty of bracing. Visit the webpage. :-)
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    tcpool,
    TNW not only built a great looking table but he also did a great job on the step by step process. And no, it's not a rules violation.
    I've never seen a table BGE sells. My dealer has one in stock but it's built by a local carpenter using BGE plans. The plans for the tables are here on the website, so check that out as well.
    There was a post yesterday or day before on tiling the table. Scroll down and see other thoughts.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    image-display?photo_id=621797&size=md
    <p />tcpool,
    A good table is just another tool to help you enjoy the BGE experience. What kind of table depends upon your particular situation. If you are not very handy with woodworking I suggest buying one. But if you are like most Eggheads you will want something that is unique to your likes and needs. Having no experience at all with ceramic cooking I thought I might need my old gas grill just in case I wanted to make "normal" food. Was I ever wrong. It stores my cobweb collection now and I cook everything on my Egg. However, at the time I decided to design in a place for my gas grill when building a table for my new Egg. If I had it to do over I would build the same table but with another hole for a small Egg. Even so, a lot of folks have asked to see a picture of my setup, if nothing more than to get some ideas for building their own. I say build your own for now and maybe later build another one with the ideas that came along after the first one. If you need some more photos of mine just e-mail me at lmcmillin@houston.rr.com. I will be more than happy to send them.[p]As for cooking, you seem to know what you are doing so my help obviously isn't needed there. [p]Good luck and good cooking.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• tcpool,
    Here's my take on it. I fly a desk all all week and welcome the chance to build something. So I say do it yourself. Unless you build stuff all day in which case I suggest that you sit at your computer for a few hours while your new table is delivered, just for the irony...[p]Anyways, I am what's called in these parts as a "cheap bastard", a name that I am some what proud of. If I can build soemthing that is of equal quality and costs me less than buying out-right, than that is the way to go. Doesn't matter if it is my cooking compared to a local resturant or otherwise (such as building a table). Chances are that if your are capable of doing it yourself, you will feel better about it in the long run (ie., bragging rights) and probably save some cash.[p]Just my humble thoughts.
    Matt.

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    thats a fine lookin table there. i think i would sand that large blemish on the left down.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    image-display?photo_id=621808&size=md
    <p />jwitheld,
    Then what would I do with the hole that was left over? The next one will have a small egg and refrigerator and sink and whatever else I can think of that may come in handy. I also think I will build some kind of roof (thatched or tin) over it to add to the casual look I was trying to achieve.
    But what will I do with the old table if I build a new one?[p]Here's a picture of me the first day I cooked on it. My friend said, "tell me again which one is the big green egg?"[p]Spring chicken

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Dude put a privy onit and move in!!