Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stacked grates?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a medium egg that I am very pleased with, however there are times I need to cook more than will fit on the grate. I was considering getting several long (12" or longer) bolts, then spacing grates along the bolts with washers and nuts. Thinkin' maybe that way I can put in more ribs, or move items closer or farther from the heat. Works in my dehydrator, and as long as there is room to tilt the lid up it seems like it may work. Has anyone tried something like this or is there one for sale that I am missing?

Comments

• ChuckE, take a look at the link - BGE sells A chrome plated grid extender that can be placed above or below the main cooking grid.
    15.5 in diameter and raises or lowers the grid surface by 3.75 in.
    Fits both the large and medium cookers.
    $17.95 approx.

[ul][li]Grid Extender[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    IMG_0265_small.jpg
    <p />ChuckE, take a look at the link - I used this setup for quite a while - it was just a real pain to clean.

[ul][li]Multi Grid[/ul]
  • Gfw,
    Thanks much. That is exactly what I was thinking of...

• DoubleRack.JPG
    <p />ChuckE,
    Here's a close up shot of the one I mad for my large (Apparently a looong time ago, based on how clean my table looks in the shot!)[p]I used all stainless carriage bolts, nuts and wingnuts. The grates are standard replacement grates you'd find most hardware mega-marts.[p]It took a while to find the stainless parts, but finally the local Ace hardware came through.[p]Yes, it is a pain to clean. That's why I've taken to leaving it assembled all the time, and just clean it with about 20 minutes of 600 - 700 degree Egg luvin'.[p]Good luck,
    bc
    Sammamish, WA