Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Men, cooking and the Egg

Options
Mainegg
Mainegg Posts: 7,787
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We ladies are way out numbered here on the forum. And you guys post an awful lot of cooks and have some pretty good knowledge of cooking and what the heck you are doing around the kitchen and the egg. How many of you cooked pre-egg? and bout how many times a week do you do dinner? or at least most of it ;) Neil cooks 2-3 times a week, but I am the maine egger. Julie

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I do all the cooking if I'm not travelling. Norma calls the appliances "the big hot thing" and "the big cold thing"

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I've cooked for over 25 years now, since I was dating and living in an Alabama town that didn't have much in the way of decent restaurants. I generally cooked for my dates/girlfriends. I've done Spanish, Greek, Italian and rustic Italian, Chinese, BBQ, Brazilian, Mexican, you name it. Originally done out of necessity, it's something I love doing today.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Pre BGE purchase my wife did most of the cooking 95%...I dabbled in a few things here and there...since the bge purchases I do 75% of the cooking...she loves it... :kiss:

She does not want it to ever go back the other way........

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    unless i descide to skip dinner, i cook it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I cook on the egg two to four times a week. I have never in my life cooked a meal in a kitchen. I have never even scrambled eggs (in a kitchen). Not being a good cook, I didn't know any better than to have a nice big gasser. Once in awhile I even had some good food come off of it, but it was very inconsistent. Finally I decided to learn how to do things right...hit the internet, found this forum, and discovered BGE. Now, people even REQUEST that I cook for them! Thanks to everyone here for the help you all give.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    I didn't cook a thing until I was 8, though I had helped enough to know my way around the kitchen. I was trying to get a Boy Scout merit badge, and when it came to light that Cub Scouts couldn't earn merit badges I resigned from the Scouts to continue cooking.

Married or single, I've cooked 5 or 6 meals a week for the past 45 years.

Ken
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    When I am at home, I prepare ALL the meals. My wife cooks seldom, but can cook well when she does. But when she cooks it's a stressful event.

I used to make pancakes and waffles for breakfast on the weekends but stopped because my wife was feeding the leftovers to the kids every day during the week. They no longer like pancakes.
  • I have been cooking for about 35 years.Most of the time I cook outside and my wife cooks inside at the same time.I can cook the whole meal on the XL egg at one time and do sometime or use 3 or 4 eggs.
    Larry

97a6.jpg

6538.jpg
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I've been cooking since my college days as I can eat like a king compared to dining out. It's fun, economical, and a hobby that can last a lifetime. My purchase of a BGE has opened a new door to the world of culinary delights! I'm another Egger who was sold on it after months of visiting the forum.

Happy as a lark with a new egg, Rascal
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I always have, and continue to, do 98% of the cooking in our house..
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Hey Wess how have you been doing?
    Larry
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I do all the diner cooking except for a couple times a year when Kim is craving one of her comfort foods, then she cooks it. -RP
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Been cookin 53 yrs. Got my first grill with S & H green stamps. Just paid the tax. Dad loved the burgers thats mostly all we cooked back then. Wife and I share the cookin duties I lead with the most meals, but she does some things much better than I do. I rule the egg. She rules the fried chicken and country fried steak. I rule the gravey.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Doin good Larry, trustin all is well with you and yours...hopefully we will cross paths at at least ONE of the upcoming fests...
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Great question. My wife still works so does very little cooking and baking.

I have always loved to cook, however, did it very little when I was in the military. One time I was cooking and my wife said I used to many plates, pans etc. and said she wouldn't clean up after me. Because good kitchen help is hard to fine I took a sabbatical for many years.

Now that I am a kept man (retired) I am back in the kitchen cooking, baking and grilling and I love it.

Actually the Kitchen isn't big enough for both of us. Her kitchen has to look cute whereas mine is a functional kitchen with tools at the ready. My wife refers to my kitchen in military terms dress right dress.

As to what I will cook you name it and I will try to cook it. As my philosophy is the only bad food is when the dog won't eat it and we don't have a dog.

As you can see being retired I have to much time on my hand
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I started when I was about 15. Cooked for my frat house a few times. Really got into after college. Then got better when I got my first egg. Overall about 34 years.
    I cooked most everything when I was married. She just burnt the sides on the oven. :woohoo:
    Now, I cook almost everything on the egg.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I started when I was about 15. Cooked for my frat house a few times. Really got into after college. Then got better when I got my first egg. Overall about 34 years.
    I cooked most everything when I was married. She just burnt the sides on the oven. :woohoo:
    Now, I cook almost everything on the egg.

Mike
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have always cooked more out of necessity than for fun. i started really enjoying cooking about 2 years before i got my. which means i was cooking more for fun than necissity. i usually cook 5-6 nights a week.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Keithww
    Keithww Posts: 62
    Options
    I've been cooking for over 30 years, did it for a living when I was in school. I was sort of a cross between a Chef and a cook, yes there is a difference. I've cooked for over 1000 people at one setting. I'm still pre-egg, but I do about half the cooking, and all the outside cooking. I do almost all of the big meals, my wife does all that cooking that keeps the kids from starving.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I learned to cook as a child - as much as anything over a campfire in scouts. For instance while others had boring breakfasts I'd fry eggs and bacon and even had toast. Augmenting those experiences a buddy and I used to "camp out" and we would grill burgers and fry fish that we caught. BTW my Mother also taught me how to sew and iron in case I needed those life skills which did come in handy during college when we still ironed our clothes and polished our shoes!

My parents never had a "BBQ" grill until I went to college so Q was something I learned later. Heck, I had never had a pizza until my college years for that matter!

My wife taught high school English (translated into much-o work at home grading papers) for 36 years so I tried to carry my half of the cooking. While I grilled using smokers and later gas grills most of my cooking was inside - until 8 years ago when I became an egger.

Now between inside and outside I cook 4 to 5 evening meals per week and all noon meals. We only eat a big breakfast on Sundays and that's a shared cook but some breakfasts are strictly mine.

My longest run to date has been 11 straight nights egging supper - skipped a day and then egged 3 more nights.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i started waching julia child in black and white on public tv age 12??? graduated to the galloping gormet [much more fun when he was drinking] and it has been a hobby and/or a necessity ever since. since i am divorced, if it is not take out, I cooked it. take out only 2-3 times per month usually sushi.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    WOW! What a lot of great responses! I am glad I taught my boys both to cook. it started at the sink when they were tall enough to reach, with the step stool :whistle: the oldest my step son does it if he has to now, but my son loves it and is the main cook in his house. He likes the good stuff and on his income eating out at that level is out of his range. and he can do a killer job at home. I am really tempted to get him a small egg for his birthday. I know he would love it. he even plants a garden LOl at 24 that is pretty cool i think. gotta love a guy in the kitchen!
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Cooked quite a bit pre-egg, probably 4-5 nights a week when I was married, being divorced I now cook every meal!
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    I can get my wife to cook shrimp creole, cajun pot roast the way her mother did it (yum), and red beans and rice. She is also the pastry chef, although I do a little of that. I love that chocolate kahlua cake from an eggfest.

She often works evenings, being a family therapist and it never made sense for me to sit on my b*** waiting on her to come home and then expect her to cook. So I learned to cook...and to adapt recipes to what we had around the house. Now I cook just about every meal. I do enjoy it, especially when there it time to to a real gourmet feast for us and company or to invent some new dish.

HH
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Hustling Hare wrote:
    I can get my wife to cook shrimp creole, cajun pot roast the way her mother did it (yum), and red beans and rice. She is also the pastry chef, although I do a little of that. I love that chocolate kahlua cake from an eggfest.

She often works evenings, being a family therapist and it never made sense for me to sit on my b*** waiting on her to come home and then expect her to cook. So I learned to cook...and to adapt recipes to what we had around the house. Now I cook just about every meal. I do enjoy it, especially when there it time to to a real gourmet feast for us and company or to invent some new dish.

HH
    If you were my husband you would have need of my services if you waited till I got home to see what I was going to cook :evil: lol :) Julie
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Cook in and out of the house for many years. This is the first winter I haven't done at least three lo 'n' slo cooks. Only did two. Grilled steaks, chops and chickens though.
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    I have always been the cook for my roomates in college and then my wife for 20 years. My eggs have just made it a lot more fun-and it was fun before! Scott
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I've done 90-95% of the cooking since we first got married 13 years ago. It's my way of unwinding after a tough day at work and fun for the weekends.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    I learned to cook when I was 13 and my mom was in college. I really started to cook more in college and started to really enjoy it. I cook 2-3 nights a week and on the weekends. Pancakes for the kids every Sunday morning is a tradition. I would cook the rest of the time, but I am working on a MBA (not totally sure what possesed me to do that at 43 but that is another story). I usually egg 1-2 nights a week. Like some of the others, I find it easy to unwind having a beer or glass of wine while cooking dinner. I did a lot of cooking before I got my egg, but the egg sure makes it easier.

One of my favorite things to do is try something completely new when we have friends coming over for dinner, but his kind of stresses out my wife.

TC