Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"To Tile or Not to Tile, That is the ?"

HolySmokes
HolySmokes Posts: 446
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Purposely chosing a Friday afternoon, as "weekend passes" are being issued and adult beverages are being poured throughout Eggland, I need advice from as many as possible. I received a medium BGE for Christmas and I've sought advice from both archive and present posts regarding table plans. However, do I want to tile or not? If so, large or small tiles? I need valued opinions.
TIA and Happy Q'ing to All....
"Holy Smokes"

Comments

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Holy Smokes,[p]Of all the Tables I've seen, I like the larger tiles (12inches?). It also looks really good trimmed with matching corner tiles, you know the smaller ones with the 90 degree angle. Also, someone (The Naked Whiz, I think) has a big piece of slate under his egg. Looks really cool. Anyway, that's just my $.02[p]--Kevin[p][p]
  • Holy Smokes,
    I was gonna post a very similar message this weekend... [p]I have my table assembled but had a couple of questions about which kind of weather proofing material to use (the table is cedar) and what kind of adhesive to use for the tiles. And do I weatherproof the surface where the tiles will be placed? [p]Is there any hints or tricks I should be aware of before finishing the table?[p]Either way H. Smokes, I went the large tile route. My theory being that I would have a work surface that would be easier to clean than wood, adds color, and should be more durable than wood. I choose large tiles instead of the small because that's what was on sale in the color I wanted![p]Hope others chime in for the both of us.[p]Almost beer-thirty
    Matt.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    South O,
    Funny, I was also just thinking of what I was gonna do when I get around to building a new cooking center...and how ceramic tile, and grout, would hold up to the elements.[p]Can't wait to see what gets said.
    Beer thirty already here in Virginny!! Getting a little shower now helping to cool of the 90 plus weather we have been having.[p]Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Holy Smokes,
    I have small...3"x3"...tiles on my table. Main reason: first, they were free; second, the green matches the Egg almost perfectly. Long story on the tiles but a friend, who bought an Egg the same time I did, had a bunch left over from a renovation. The ones he used were large and more ornate but his wife picked those for "their" table. So, I have a green and white checkerboard tile top. (I'd include a pic but I've never successfully posted one.)
    We went to Home Depot, found a tile guy and told him what we were doing and showed him the tiles we would be using. He told us everything we needed to know. But yes, you'll need a backer board, adhesive, grout and sealer. It only took a couple of days; we borrowed a saw to cut the tiles to fit around the opening.
    The tiles with a glazed/glossy finish will stay cleaner easier. Larger vs. smaller...not so much of an issue. With the larger, you don't have to do as much grout work but I like my smaller tiles.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Holy Smokes,
    I tried it without the tile for about six months and decided tile was better. I had some left over tile from my porch project so I used them. I was advised to use porcelain tile if there was any chance of a hard freeze. It is hard enough to handle very hot pans, etc as well. It is the dickens to cut in a circle but I managed. If I had it to do over I would probably make a couple of minor changes but I would stay with tile. Use tile backer board for the base. The rest is easy.[p]Spring Chicken

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Ca_rnivore,
    Thanks everyone for such great advice. My son's basketball buddy is turning thirteen tonight and we're celebrating his step into teenhood with BGE NY Strips and lobster tails. Thus, I'll make this post generic, as time is short and appetites are waiting on the magic of the egg. There's a few email's I also received and I'll return them later tonight. Again, thanks...each of you have given me food for thought and I can incorporate so much into the table I would have never considered.

• outleft.jpg
    <p />Holy Smokes,[p]My table also has tile. I used 1/2" outdoor plywood covered with 1/2" cement backer board, thinset mortar, 12" tiles, and grout. I also used a sealer for the grout and tile which I *highly* recommend. Now that it is sealed, water just beads on top of the grout and tile like a new-waxed car. I can even spill barbecue sauce on the grout and it just wipes up - no stains.[p]The backer board may not be necessary (since I already had the plywood), but since I was going through all the trouble and expense, I didn't want the backing under the tile to flex at ALL when I moved the table, and then crack the grout. Right now I would have no concerns about getting on top of the table and jumping up and down, and doing any damage at all to the tile.[p]I also like the large tiles - less grout and a bigger, smoother work surface.[p]As for the slate underneath - I have tried porcelain (not ceramic) tile, and a 5/8 inch stone from my local brickyard - both cracked VERY quickly. I have heard of others with similar problems. Now mine is on the little green egg feet, on top of the stone, to provide air flow.[p]More pics of my table are at:
    http://www.dreamglass.org/egg.htm[p]- Mike[p]

[ul][li]Charcoal Mike's Table[/ul]
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    We are in the process now of building a home for our large egg. We did ours out of brick, with a tile countertop. Eggbert will sit atop a deck grate in his spot, with storage on the other side.We used the large tiles, and so far it looks nice (still have to grout them in. We also went with the large tiles because of the less grout idea. Hopefully when all is done we will get pictures up. [p]nikkig
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Holy Smokes,[p]Mrs. Puj and I built a table two years ago. It is tiled (12"x12") and has held up well. I recommend that you cover the table if you tile it. Just the everyday "gunk" that floats in the air will convince you to do so. Mrs. Puj made a cover for the table out of remnant marine cloth. Looked at it this morning and it is still good as new.[p]Here's a link to a couple of pictures of the table. Go to the marble dough board picture for a good look at the tile.[p]Puj
    [ul][li]Puj's Cooking Pad[/ul]