Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another new egger is hatched

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, I'm brand new to the BGE having just purchased one last week, but I have cooked many fine meals on my Weber (kind of sad to see it sitting there unused after all we've been through together).[p]Cooking on the Weber I became a huge fan of the indirect method and cooked almost everything that way. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to indirect cook on the BGE. I bought the plate (or is it place, I've seen both) setter and I already don't like it. I figure I have to boost the temp about 100* above where I would set it for direct cooking. [p]Are there any better ways of setting up for indirect? If you use the plate setter do you boost the temp?[p]Regards,
Peter

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Peter, basically indirect is putting any type of barrier between the fire and the meat. I normally use a couple of half width firebricks on a grill with second grill on top. Other times I use a pan with s V-rack in it. I have also just put s piece of tin foil on a grill, placed three firebricks around the edge and placed a second grill on top of those. While I have found the immediate result of an indirect barrier being put into place is a drop in temperature, it only takes about 10 minutes for it to recover to my original temp.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Peter, I have used fire bricks between two grids for indirect - works about perfect. Can't comment on the place setter, never had one - originally they were only available on the large and I have a medium.[p]11_25_9906_24_03_small.jpg
    a little beef jerky on the fire bricks
    S10_10_9916_22_00.jpg

[ul][li]Fire Bricks[/ul]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Peter,
    Congrats and welcome!
    I too had a Weber. I had a friend in need of a grill and brought him mine along with a bag of briquets and some other stuff I wouldn't be using. He was very grateful.
    As for using the plate setter...no need to boost the temp to cook with it or any other indirect method. All you're doing is separating direct heat/flames from the meat. You'll get the same benefits but no burned/charred outsides.
    What's the first meal going to be?

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Peter,
    I believe the plate sitter works great. You should put it in when initially heating up the egg. If you take the egg to say 350 and then add the sitter you'll loose a 100 or more degrees and then have to wait for it to rise again.
    B D