Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deli style roast beef

Chef Boy RC
Chef Boy RC Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a new meat slicer on the way and was going to make roast beef to slice deli style to try out the new slicer. What is a good cut of beef for this and how is the best way to cook it. Thanks.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This might break in the slicer.

Beef, Round, Roast, ClayQ

Jacqui McNaughton,Mornin Jacqui. Don't know why you didn't get some help by now....maybe everyone's busy cookin. Beef round roast is cut from a big muscle in the back leg, is lean and easy to cook. The tricky part is not overcooking this cut to keep it juicy and tender. So I'll suggest indirect (not directly over the burning lump but in a rack, in a drip pan) and cook to 135-140 internal with some hickory smoke. Let the meat rest after cooking for about 20 minutes before making very thin slices. You can marinate or brine this cut of meat....I've done both... I use a light brine ratio of one cup Kosher salt to one gallon water so it's not overly salty.Hope this helps. I'm cooking a beef roast today and it's gonna be good.Have fun,Clay

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, ClayQ, 09/09/07
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Eye of Round Roast. Cook it like a rib roast.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Rump roast and sirloin tip roast works for lunch meat also. Rump is a little more fatty but has a good beefy taste, sirlion roast is leaner, milder in flavor. Don't over cook or it'll be tuff chewin. Italinan herb seasoning in a brine is great or you can give the meat a good seasoning rub and just throw it on the egg and rost indirect to 135 internal without brining. A little hickory smoke is nice at the begining of the cook, if you like.
    Good luck and have fun.
    IMG_4917.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Clay Q is right about rump being more fatty, but thats something i really like in deli beef. this was a direct raised grid cook at 275 to an internal around 125/127, allowed to rest then chilled before slicing.

fbe40804.jpg

after st pattys day corned beef goes on sale, makes for some smoked pastrami, check out thirdeyes site for ideas on pastrami. i usually buy several when the sale comes and freeze for when i want to make it.

2004_0122Image0020.jpg

dr chickens ham also makes good slices, i thawed some out last night for some macaroni, good stuff. , the ham freezes well vacuum packed

100_1352.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hi all, what type(brand) of slicer are you using there? looks like a pretty good machine.
    Thanks,
    GlenLivet
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    its a ritter, i think its german made. bought it about 5 years ago on an ebay closeout sale, i dont think they sell in this country anymore. its fairly rugged, one cheap plastic piece on it that tyou need to becareful with, but otherwise its been a good machine. someone found them on this forum and i jumped on it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it