Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Russian Hog

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend dropped off a 9-1/2 pound Russian Hog shoulder the other day - shot last week and never frozen. I stuffed it with garlic, smeared it with mustard, and rubbed it with a liberal coating of Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Vacuum packed it for about 24 hours. Put it on the XL Sunday night at 7:30. Took it of the Egg 22 hours later, wrapped in HDAF and towels for 1-1/2 hours, and then pulled it. It exceeded my expectations. First low and slow on pork (domestic or wild). My friend said he was looking for a new gasser - I changed his mind. He is headed to the local BGE distributor.

Going on the XL
101_2129640x480.jpg

After 22 Hours
101_2131640x480.jpg

101_2133640x480.jpg

First time with Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Has a little kick - pretty nice.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    WOW look at the shrinkage. I thought that only happened on Seinfeld. :woohoo: Good lookin hunk-O-pig there. Better yet, you have a convert.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    BGE is gonna have to get you a finder's fee for that referral. Looks like you had plenty of room to spare inside the cooker.
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    Ain't it nice to know that the XL will leave you with a nice amount of lump even after 22 hours.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    You are right Scubdog, there is a lot of lump left. Filled 3/4 of the way up the fire ring and the cook easily could have lasted another six hours. BTW - forgot to mention - six chunks of pecan buried randomly in the lump and two handfuls of Jack Daniels scattered around. Averaged 250 dome for the cook. Went to bed around 10:30 with the temp at 250 - was 275 when I woke at 5:00 and I turned it down to just below 250. No Digi Q, no stoker - nothing against them, just trying to learn how to do it w/o and I don't anticipate a lot of all nighters. Small will be next purchase.
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    Good job! Haven't done an all nighter yet as still have some smoked butts in the freeze from the old Electric Brinks Smoker I used to use. Guess I will have to give them away to the in-laws so I'll have ab excuse to try an all nighter. Plus still learning the temps on my large.