Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New Egg Table

HerbHerb Posts: 28
edited 12:07PM in EggHead Forum
Here is the table i've been working on for the past week. As soon as i can find someone to help me carry it of the cellar i'll post some "in action photos'

IMG_0011-1.jpg

IMG_0010-1.jpg

IMG_0009-1.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg
·

Comments

• "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Lokkin good Herb.Very nice work :)
    ·
  • Susan EgglaineSusan Egglaine Posts: 2,430
    GREAT JOB!! :woohoo:
    ·
  • Bob-OBob-O Posts: 211
    Some things can be described with only one word. This one would be:

Outstanding
    ·
  • HerbHerb Posts: 28
    Thank you all for the kind words
    ·
  • KCKC Posts: 91
    Man, that is a thing of beauty.
    ·
  • Herb that is beautiful!
    Is it mahogany? The tile looks excellent, great choice! Looks like you really puts some thought into this, great job!

Now, make sure you get a cover for it so you get the most mileage out of that wood and the finish. Mine's mahogany and I used a sealer like Thompson's for the finish and even with a cover I need to touch it up once a year.
    ·
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    Great fit and finish! You have something to be proud of.
    ·
    It is mahogany, and I put 3 coats of spar urethane on it. do you still recommend thompsoms on top of urethane?

Any suggestions as to where I can find a custom cover?
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    Herb,

You are truly a craftsman. Exceptional.

Is that an airplane in the background?
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
    Yes, it is, 1/3 scale piper super cub. I got 14 planes in the cellar .They're remote control and I have been building planes a lot longer than tables :)

This was my first attempt and a large scale woodworking project. I'm happy with the results.
    ·
  • Man!! From a sawdust maker to a woodworker - that is mightyfine. Don't need Thompsons water seal with with 3 coats of polyurethane. For a custom cover I would go to an upholstery shop. A cheap alterantive may be going online to find a boat cover for say a 10-12' boat if something that small exist.
    ·
  • Beanie-BeanBeanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    That's a pretty slick table you did, Herb. Is the other side cut out for the same size egg?
    ·
  • ScubadogScubadog Posts: 97
    Great job!!!
    ·
  • bobbybbobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Give there folks a try:

http://www.mels-bbq-covers.com/

Bob
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    whoops!!
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    Broke down over the week-end and located a Radial Arm Saw on Craig's List. Mrs. Wolf says as long as some badly needed repairs to the Wolf Compound are made I can knock myself out with the Wolf Den and the Mobile Wolf Den.

I just hope I can do as good as a job as you did on your table.
    ·
  • Herb, that's fantastic! I just completed mine this weekend (pics pending). It was fun building it, but I'm glad it's done. Now I can spend all my time cooking. :laugh:
    ·
  • Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Like most BGE-ers, am thinking of one of these myself.

Maybe a slightly rude question, but what was your budget for that project? (Forgetting for a moment the standard craftsman rate of $75/hour for your labours.)
    ·
  • Herb-
    Your good with the spar urethane, don't need anything more.
    Just remember the finish won't last forever and that probably once a year will be good maintenance-at least for the top. Play it by ear.

As far as the cover goes, even if you throw a tarp over it temporarily it will help.
    I like to leave stuff on my table (like a grill light and welders gloves) that I don't want to get wet. Which is another reason for a cover. Most of all though, the cover is worth it to protect your beautiful work.
    ·
  • JeffersonianJeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Beautiful table, Herb, and the mahogany just caps it. I'm planning a new table this spring, if we ever get spring.
    ·