Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Time Pulled Pork

Options
Warthog
Warthog Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I did it! I received my new Maverick on Friday, and decided to try it out this weekend with my first attempt at pulled Pork. Went to the local egg distributor on Saturday, picked up another bag of Wicked good, and a jar of John Henry's Texas Pig Rub. Then it was off to Fred Meyer for the pork. Talked to the butcher and he came out with a 9#, bone in pork butt, and a 7#. I figured it was time to go big or go home. Bought the 9# and an injector, buns, cabbage, vinegar, and was out the door.

Following the competition recipe on the BGE website, I rubbed the roast down and refrigerated it for 4 hours. Cleaned out the egg and threw in a couple chunks of the new stuff to get it going for burgers for dinner. Shut the egg down while we ate, and then refilled to the top of the fire box with more lump and set it up for the pork (plate setter, pan and grate. Hooked the oven probe up to the maverick and programmed it. Injected the pork with as much liquid as I could. Stablized the egg and put the butt on at 9:00 p.m.

Here is the pork just before I put it on.
DSC00044.jpg

I was like a new dad with this one. Constantly fiddling with the wheel and doors to get the temp right. Finally, I figured I would let the maverick do it's thing. I went to bed at 2:00 and took the receiver with me. I woke up at 5:30 and the temp was down to 194. I got up and opened the draft door to make sure the fire was still lit. The temp started to climb, so I adjusted the door and then left it alone.

At 5:00 p.m. Sunday night, I pulled it off. Here is what it looked like after 20 hours at 230 deg.

DSC00046.jpg

After about 30 minutes in foil, towels and in the cooler, I pulled it out and started to pull it. It was extremely moist, and very tender. The only thing I would do different would be to find out how to make it saltier. There wasn't much flavor in the meat itself. The Armadillo BBQ sauce made up for that. I also made cole slaw using mom's recipe, and then baked beans to finish off the meal.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to share and then welcome any critique that would add to this for the next one.

Thanks again to all who post on here for sharing your pictures and experiences. They all made this first attempt a whole lot easier!

Warthog

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Lookin good! The only thing I would recommend is that you get the Egg stabilized at 250 dome for about an hour before putting the meat on. Then don't make any adjustments for at least an hour after putting the meat on. -RP
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Warthog, that is a fine looking piece of meat ya cooked there. I can't offer any suggestions because I haven't cooked one yet...but that will change soon. Congratulations B)
  • Warthog
    Options
    Thanks,
    I think if I would have just left it alone, it would have been fine. But, like I said, I was like a first time Dad. I think the next one will go much easier. The other thing I noticed was the temp fluctuation. It would go up and down 3 - 4 degrees in both directions. Don't know if this was due to the wind, or to the outside temp. I realized that if I just left it alone, the temp would come back on its' own.

Warthog
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Ah, sweet success. I took me a couple of tries, but going bigger was what did the trick. After tasting good PP, having extra pounds in the freezer is always a plus.

If you cook with the dome closer to 250, you'll shave some time off, and not risk over-cooking.

You might want to go a bit heavier on the rub next time around. That way you'll get a better bark, and a little of that mixed in with the interior meat really boosts the flavor.
  • Warthog
    Options
    Can I add rub to the cooked meat after it is pulled? That is the flavor I guess I was looking for.

Warthog
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A good rub is just a nice spice mix with a fair amount of salt and sugar. Lots of people on the forum use rubs one their eggs, mixed into mashed 'taters, sprinkled on biscuits, etc.

However, when rubbed on the meat for cooking, the salt and sugar draws some moisture from the meat, and forms a crust, while at the same time letting the meat's fat carry the spice flavors into the meat.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    That's a really nice-looking pork butt, Warthog, especially after 20 hours on the Egg. They're usually a lot darker, not that nice golden color you got. Almost a shame to pull it, really....nah!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Outstanding first butt Warthog! I think you have already gotten all of the suggestions I would have made...looks delicious!...great job and thanks for sharing the pix! B)B)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    if your looking for more flavor, next time put it on heavier, then coat with mustard, then dust on another layer of rug. makes for a mech heavier bark. i also add more rub when pulling as the long cook really mellows the origional rub and also add a little vinegar sauce at this time. sometimes i also inject the vinegar sauce about halfway into the cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Nice job, Warthog!

If you want more flavor inside, give the injection that Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson uses. It's just 3/4 cup cider vinegar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, 1/8 cup salt, 2 Tbsp worchestershire sauce. I've used it twice and it was the best I've made!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Warthog
    Options
    Thanks for that recipe. I tried the one on the BGE site for competition pulled pork. I may not have injected enough into the meat. The fat cap was getting a big bubble in it, so I figured I was good to go. I have some left over, I may add it to the cooked meat (some of it) and see if that does anything for me.

Warthog
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Excellent job, Warthog! Glad to hear that everything turned out right. I generally season the pork immediately after it's been pulled--hope that helps. I've also read that some people will inject their roast with stuff, and that may help get some saltiness into the meat itself if that is what you're looking for.
  • Warthog
    Options
    Yea, pretty much. I think next time, I will inject more into the meat before it goes on the egg, and then, as for the crust, I will try the mustard rub followed by alot more rub mixture. I am going home tonight (I'm still working) and adding more to the left overs as well. I think that alone will help achieve that "flavor" that I was expecting.

I am not displeased at all with the turn out. I just thought it was lacking something.

Thanks again for the input!

Warthog