Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

concrete countertop

Options
"Sparky"
"Sparky" Posts: 6,024
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is the form almost ready.Just finishing up the metalwork.I know it looks like a horrible baking accident,but it is handyfoam to keep the aluminium flashing from caving in.

countertop005.jpg

I am now very tired.It is hard work to mix 3 bags of concrete at the same time.This was neccesary to keep the chacoal coloring even.The hammerdrill is my concrete vibrator.

countertop006.jpg

Now back to the barn to catch my breath.I have to wait a few days before I can remove the form and see how it turned out.Wish me luck,thanks :whistle:

countertop009.jpg

Comments

• BamaBackdraft
    Options
    Is the form reusable? Keep us posted!
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    I have not tried to reuse a form yet.I made a few test pieces to use as stepping stones.The form is just MDF and 1x3.It is cheap enough to make a new one.The hardest part is getting the eggholes marked.
  • dblR
    dblR Posts: 75
    Options
    Just put marble tile on my egg table using two concrete boards under the marble tile. Don't think table will fall apart. You can buy and then cut out what you want. Not sure what sizes they come in but they use all the time in neew home construction now. Hope your project works out.

dblR
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Looks great Doug. Hope it all works out. Please don't post pic's of an organized tool room the wife might see them :whistle::whistle::blush: . Is the base gonna be block or wood??
    Think it's gonna work out great. Can't wait to see the final pic's.

Pat
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    The base is wood.I just need to do a little framing to make sure it doesn't collapse :woohoo: It is going here.If it works,I'll do the side table also.

019.jpg
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    are you going to polish the top with diamond grinder like

cheng i bought his intro kit [additive and color] to experiment with so i am anxious to know what and how thanks
    bill
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Might need a center brace but I'll defer to stike. Looks great and makes it that much better when you build it yourself. Good luck.
    Pat
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    I haven't tried polishing the concrete yet.So far,all I have done is apply a sealer.It looks pretty good when done and am happy with the results.I now have a bunch of stepping stones of different colors and textures.I think it was worth the time to eggsperiment with the concrete first.Hey Pat,I only have a 12x12 barn so all must be organized.I have to move my lawnmower outside just to set up the tablesaw. :)
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Had to laugh. This one's 10 by 22. As you can see some Christmas stuff I still haven't packed yet & yes there is a table saw and even a 4 ton AC in the back that I should have sold or got rid of years ago. It definitely looks better with the doors closed. :blush::blush:

Pat

100_1636.jpg

100_1637.jpg
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Hey Pat,It doesn't matter what it looks like.Do you know where everything is? :laugh:
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Yea but nobody else does. Wife wont go near it & if a neighbor wants to borrow something she say's you'll have to wait till Pat gets home. In typing this just realized THIS IS A GOOD THING. ;);)B)
    Pat
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    The barn is also my mancave.I can hide here and work on stuff.This is where I keep the beer,so it's very convienient. :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: This is what it normally looks like.

001.jpg
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    OK thats much better I can show the wife that one & even highlight the TV.
    Pat
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    As usual,it looks better with the door closed :woohoo:

002-1.jpg
  • axpro
    axpro Posts: 50
    Options
    My current mancave is the basement rec room, My egg is living just outside the door!

but i still want a traditional mancave outside... a "fortress of intestinal fortitude" so to speak.
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    It is very helpful to have a free standing mancave.You must also have electricity,fridge,tv,a/c,heat,surround sound,dvd player and internet service.These are all very important things. :laugh: Just don't let her know about it. :evil:
  • Holy smokes Doug! That is a very nice BGE cooking setup... I just have the egg nest for my large and would be thrilled to have your setup. My dad is going to help me put something together this spring like the NakedWhizs' cart but seeing your setup I think I may need to "expand" my plans a little......

Dano
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Thank you very much Dano.I have been working on this for a long time.Once the countertops are done,I'll have to find another project.Maybe a couple more eggs :laugh: .Just don't tell wifey :woohoo: :lol: :laugh: