Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicago Style Stuffed Pizza

Options
KC
KC Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Marge's post looked great and it got me thinking about the Chicago style stuffed pizzas like they serve at Geno's East on N Wells Street. Has anybody got a recipe or figured a way to make a really good deep dish Chicago style stuffed pizza?

Comments

• Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    Options
    Funny you should ask....!!!

The topping is the similar to my previous post - take 1 can (28 oz) Italian plum tomatoes, seeded and drained, mix 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil and/or 1.5 tsp dried oregano, and salt to taste- reserve this in a bowl.

Make either a cornmeal dough ball or a traditional one. Chicago stuffed pizza joints use both.

For traditional spinach stuffed: Heat 1-2 tbs olive oil in a saute pan, add 5 cloves minced or smashed garlic, and saute about 2lbs fresh spinach, finely chopped in olive oil over med-hi heat until it wilts. Season with salt and black pepper. Transfer to colander and drain, press hard w/ spoon to remove as much liquid as possible.

Combine this spinach mix with about 2.5 cups (10oz) shredded mozz cheese- reserve.

Cut the dough ball into two: one 2/3 size and one 1/3 size ball. Roll out the larger ball and press into a 12 inch deep dish pan- press sides all the way up and trim excess. Fill the dough shell with reserved spinach/mozz mixture.

Now roll out the smaller ball into a 12-in circle. Place on top of the filling and press the crusts together to seal. Cut a 1in. slit in the center of the top to allow steam to escape. Brush crust with olive oil.

Place pie on egg and bake for 15 mins (475 dome), then remove and spoon tomatoes on top, sprinkle with parm cheese and put back on egg. Cook another 10-15 minutes until crust has pulled away from pan, everything is looking golden brown! Cool, slice and serve!

This comes from James McNair's Pizza - link to Amazon. Simply a fantastic book for pizza fanatics.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I've made this recipe probably 5 times and it is really authentic, I'm from Naperville, IL so I feel I can be objective. Only problem is that since I got the recipe and procedure, the site went pay per view. It will cost you $2.00 to get a copy of the recipe. I think it is worth it. -RP
    http://www.betterbaking.com/viewRecipe.php?recipe_id=1206
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    Options
    Schaumburg here
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    Thanks Marge. I will try it. I appreciate the info. This Bama boy loves Chicago food!