Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined chickens at 350 for 4.5 hours

Options
King-O-Coals
King-O-Coals Posts: 510
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of life's little hazards down here is trying to time cooking with guests arrivals. My brined chickens went on at 1 pm, which was just after my wife and her friend left for a couple of craft fairs. Well, I cleaned up a little, put my newly rebuilt ice machine back in service, had a few mood mellowers, and three hours later, the chickens were done. But no eaters had shown back up yet. I left them on for another hour at just under 300. Finally, they got back and at 430 pm. At 5 pm, I took them and the chickens up and forced them to eat. The chicken completely took their minds off the craft shows and the new plants they had bought. I ended up with pulled-chicken. They were so tender and moist, the meat would just fall off the bone. I was going to brine one and leave the other un-brined,, but I forgot. I'm glad I did. They were most fine. The breasts were right at 200 and the thighs were just over 200. I think the over-cooking really helped.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]I'm glad to hear of your success. My wife prefers her meat very well done. Her method is "cook it until it is surely dead and keep going, just make it juicy and tender". We like to cook a bird to use for salad. I cook these birds to 200+F. They still are a bit too tender.[p]Spin
  • King-O-Coals,
    Sorry to hear you have such a hard time finding appreciative guest, too bad you don't invite us northerner's, 20 miles north of atlanta that is, who know how to eat, get mellow, and be on time. I hope you don't forget how to do it, but better, as we will be there this summer. FYI, just got done feeding the Guru a standing rib roast, shirmp with basil and proschuto(sp?) (best he ever ate), rosemary potatos and vegies, and he says you will be challenged to top it...

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Spin, I agree with ya.. The ability of the "egg" to hold the moisture and heat is a big asset. I do this with ribs also or Boston Butts to hold em for a time if needed. Just shut everything down and let it glide to a landing. :-)
    Gotta hand it to that guy tho..now he is a King O Kackles.
    :-)
    Cheers..C~W

>Congrats to KOK!![p]
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    King-O-Coals, Way to go.. we knew we could get you fired up for the kill...:-)

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Spin, the thigh meat was kinda ham-like. "Wundafull"! I also like my chicken well done, and the brining allowes extended cooking without the fear of drying. I also had a heavy coating of, you guessed it,, cajun seasonings. The skin was a little too spicey and salty, but that helps deter one of eating the skin. Doctors say don't eat the skin due to the fat and grease, but it is normally my favorite part. But under the skin,,, man oh man..

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Heimbach, yall have a standing invite. Best he ever ate huh? We laugh everytime we eat off the egg cause we always say,, "man,, that's the best I've ever put in my mouth!" I don't know if it just keeps getting better,, or if it's always the same, except we just forgot how good it is. Hey,, lets get a little color into that egg! You should have already burned through one firebox by now..

• Char-Woody
    Options
    King-O-Coals, Thats why I always leave the skin on. Its like a firemans overcoat :-)
    C~W[p]