Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
pop6Mvc-020e.jpg
<p />This is a six pound brisket flat. More info coming after I get the picture to post.[p]Old Dave

Comments

• The six pound brisket flat was trimmed to about 1/16 inch of fat and then cut in half to fit in my Food Saver bags. [p]A brine of water, Tender-Quick, garlic powder, and brown sugar was injected into the meat. I then rubbed about 10 cloves of minced garlic into the meat. On top of that, I rubbed a mixture of sea salt, ground cloves, Tender-Quick, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper, Turbinado sugar, dried parsley, dried onion, and pickling spice. This rub was put on real heavy. The meat was placed in the fridge for about 3-1/2 days and turned over twice a day.[p]Pulled meat from fridge, rinsed off the rub under the faucet, and soaked the meat for about 1-1/2 hours in water to remove the excess salt. Let the meat dry and then rubbed a mixture of fresh cracked Tellicherry pepper, Turbinado sugar, fresh crushed whole coriander seed, and a small amount of 90 grade cayenne pepper. Again, the rub was put on heavy. [p]Put the meat on the Egg and used both oak and hickory for smoke. Smoked at about 240 degrees rack temp for 9-1/2 hours and pulled the meat at 182 degrees internal. [p]The meat was served to our guests on a rye bun with a thin slice of swiss and horseradish sauce on the side. It was great!![p]Old Dave[p]

• Looks terrific. I know what I'm trying next. Thanks

• Old Dave, That's more than great..Mouth watering! Your da man on da pastrami requests..! You posted this recipe sometime back..and its still worth putting in the recipe archives..I hope ya do!! Champeeeeen pastrami!!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]Sounds great. I printed this one out in case you don't post it in the recipe section. [p]Tim
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    The local supermarket has some uncooked corn beef (sealed in a plstic pouch with liquid) in the meat case. I might try smoking one to attempt making pastrami.
  • BluesnBBQ,[p]I have not tried it that way and wouldn't know how to adjust my recipe for it. Why don't you see if you can find a brisket flat. I would be more than happy to send you the details on how to cook one up and it will be better than anything you can purchase.[p]Old Dave[p]
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]I'm just going to try the supermarket corned beef as an experiment. I figure since pastramie is basically smoked corned beef, this might be an easy way to make it. But I'm also curious about your recipe. I have plenty of time to try both. :)