Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need some blah recipes... chemo

Options
smokn gramma g
smokn gramma g Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hubby is going through chemo, I am looking for a few recipes. I cant cook in the house makes him sick, so i am off to the q! beef is off limits.

He really wants veggies!I I dont even know where to go from here! We were meat and potato people till now,.

Is anyone going through this?

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear that. The only veggies I've cooked on the Egg is brussel sprouts. The recipe is in the 2007 Eggtoberfest recipe file on the Whiz and WessBs sites.

I'm really fond of baked potatos with butter and DP Shaking the Tree. A mighty fine combo if I do say so myself.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Prayers are with ya'll. Hope this helps. Simply fresh green beans, cut yellow squash, cut fresh mushrooms. Garlic pepper and EVOO with vegs in ziplock to coat vegs. Place in pan and cover with Rotel tomatoes of the heat of your choice. Cook indirect at 325 for like 1 1/2 hrs till tender. Leave uncovered first 30 min. with lots of smoke wood then cover in foil for rest of cook. NEW08118.jpgNEW08067.jpg
  • smokn gramma g
    Options
    thanks, have no primary! hoping for the best!
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Our prayers are with you. I like acorn squash roasted with a mixture of butter and a little brown sugar basted over the cleaned inside. How about a broccoli casserole with good ole american cheese. A basic vegetable soup made with chicken/vegetable stock and lots of fresh chopped veggies. Spice up your baked potatos with twice bakers or cut slits in the potato and stuff onions,roasted garlic,and proscuitto wrap in foil and bake. How about a potato pancake made with shreeded taters,egg and S&P. Make sure you ring out the excess water. Ask for the vinegar pie recipe that floats around the forum. Roasted asparagus is one of my favorites. Just toss asparagus in EVOO and season with salt and pepper or even lemom pepper and grill. You can't beat a sweet potato with butter & a touch of brown sugar. Stuffed tomatos with a mixture of shrooms, garlic and parmesan cheese. Slices of tomato, red onions,and mozzorella cheese drizzled with a good balsamic vinegar. Well thats all I've got tonight. I hope this helps, Tom
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Last week I brought a whole bunch of speckled trout filets to a friend who is going through chemo. He can't tolerate a bunch of spice or rich foods but seems to get along with fish cooked blandly. Hope everything works out fine for you and you certainly will have a lot of Eggers saying prayers for a positive outcome.
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    when i am thinking healthy and need a few recipes i look to chefmd.

http://www.chefmd.com/

hope all turns out well for you and your family.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Am not going through this but thoughts and prayers are with you. Sorry to hear it. Veggies are excellent prepared on the egg. You really can't mess them up. I've cooked them anywhere from 300 to 500.direct or indirect...just have to stir more at 500 ;) ...I made these simply by cutting up veggies into a large bowl, pour in some EVOO (if he can handle it), do them without is probably ok. Then add whatever spices if any he can tolerate. Simply salt and pepper, or sprinkle in favorite rub or rubs. No recipe really, you can chop up and put whatever veggies he likes into the mix from asparagus to zucchini...takes them about 10 minutes to cook...
    BrunswickVeggies001.jpg

Baked potatoes are most eggcellent on the egg and I have cooked them anywhere from 300 to 450...again rub in EVOO, sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper and just plop them on the egg (no foil!)...takes them from 40 to 60 mins (200 internal is good) depending on temp of egg. I eat them without butter (just pepper in fact, no salt) and they are wonderful! Also worth trying are sweet taters fixed in the same fashion. Again, I eat with no butter. I make a mix of 50/50 cinnamon/sugar or sweetener and sprinkle on them after I cut them open...

Good Luck and GodBless..
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    grilled romaine, slice in half , rinse, dry ,drizzle with oive oil [or italian dressing if hubby needs more flavor.] salt pepper if needed . quick easy good and you can make as bland or flavorful as he wants. my prayers for you both
    bill
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Nice pan!

I also can attest to how good veggies on the Egg are, Gramma G. I did zucchini with other things last night and it turned out very good. I'd steer away from peppers and onions, obviously, but all sorts of squash, green beans, asparagus, etc. are excellent on the Egg.

DSC00263.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Terribly sorry to read you are going through this. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
    I went through the post chemo stuff with my Dad last year. I did all the cooking outside or at my house. It is very frustrating. You cook something they say they can tolerate and then when it's ready they can't. There really isn't much you can do to change it. I found straight simple stuff was the only thing that worked, baked beans, hearty soups like minestrone, pasta with very little sauce and chicken breast. Grilled pepper, asparagus and potatoes worked sometimes.
    Where is he being treated?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Hello from the club no one wants to be a member in. I have been going through chemo since last Sept. for breast cancer. The first four months of chemo I also had the stomach problems, but then moved on to phase 2 of my program and am no longer nauseated but really tired. Tell your hubby that he will eventually get through this and about two weeks after chemo ends, his stomach will get better.

I started out eating really bland food like chic and noodles and puddings. Eventually, I got REALLY tired of it. I started focusing on just what sounded good and avoiding spicey and buttery foods. One thing that helps is timing his antinausea meds for about one hour before meals, if possible. They have some pretty good meds out there for nausea and if one med doesn't work, don't be afraid to talk to the oncologist and get something different. I ended up trying 3 different meds before finding a rountine that worked somewhat for me. It really stinks to be nauseaed 24hrs a day.

I don't know how your husband's white blood counts are but the MD's office told me to make sure my vegetables and fruits were either the type that could be peeled or that were cooked well. Same goes with meats, make sure they are cooked well to avoid catching any type of food borne bugs.

I can't tell you how many times I wanted to just stop chemo, if my husband had not encouraged me and kept me going, I probably would have quit. So keep supporting him, it really does make a difference. I have four rounds left, I should finish the end of this month.

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your hubby.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

A few suggestions:

A WebMD search you might find helpful - http://www.webmd.com/search/search_results/default.aspx?query=chemo%20food&sourceType=undefined

ChefMD - http://www.chefmd.com/index.php

Weber vegetable recipes - http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/recipe/category.aspx?c=vegetable

Try a google search for vegetarian bbq.

You really can cook anything in the Egg that can be cooked in your kitchen. Betty Crocker and Better Homes & Gardens have lots of vegetable recipes in their cookbooks.

My family likes poached fish. Seal the fish up in a foil pouch with a little lemon, orange, rosemary (if he can tolerate it) and bake at 475* for about 15 minutes. Less oily fish would probably be best. I don’t think I’d start out with sea bass.