Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ in Thailand orphanage, Advice???

Options
Fredc
Fredc Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,

I am a new Large BGE owner since June of 07. I have learned much from this forum and at the Seattle Eggfest, plus the Naked Whiz site. I am heading to Northern Thailand to work in an orphanage for a week along with people from the Seattle business community and friends from our church. This is a trip strictly about helping people in need. I have been assigned the task of cooking BBQ for about 260 of the kids. 23 of them have Aids. With my BGE I have cooked several staff meals at one our local Thai restaurant who have connected us to the orphanage in Udon Thani. By the way, Thai’s love BBQ!!! Even one of the waitresses’s asked me to bring her mother who lives in Udon Thani, to the orphanage for some of those Jalapeño poppers BGE style that I have learned on this site.

I am not sure yet if I will purchase a BBQ in Thailand and just give it to the orphanage or build a pit BBQ with bricks and buy a grate for cooking over the coals. I will probably be using Coconut Charcoal lump if I can find it or what ever they have.

I plan on cooking:
Jalapeño peppers/poppers, with shrimp, cream cheese wrapped in Bacon.
Chicken wings with bamboo skewer, (Steve Raichlen style) marinated in Thai Sriracha sauce along with garlic, lemongrass, ginger, lime juice, salt and pepper.
A grilled vege of some type.
Fresh pineapple, mango or watermelon for dessert.

I am bringing with me to Thailand in my suitcase:
1. Apple chips.
2. 100 latex gloves. (I will have lots of helpers, see video below.)
3. A Webber chimney starter
4. Meat Thermometer
5. Dry rub.

Any advice or suggestions on building a in the ground BBQ pit, purchasing a BBQ over there, or what else you think I should cook or bring is more than welcome.

Here is a quick video of our trip last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku3YRkwfnfU

Thank you,

Fred Croson

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Wonderful to view your YouTube video -- and to think of what becomes so many kids in Thailand!

Blessing to you all!

~ Broc
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    A very noble cause. Godspeed and good luck.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My hat is off to you. Cooking for 260, and orphans at that! Both a huge task, and an equally good one.

Are Jalapeños available in Thailand? My only experience with Thai chiles were some very tiny, super hot ones. Do they have milder versions available?

Do you need to take any utensils along? Whenever I cook, a knife is never far away? I would suppose carrying along a knife might be a problem. Will there be something at the orphanage?

The in ground pits I have built were much smaller than what would serve you. I was just cooking for about 20. I didn't line them with brick, just made sure no roots were sticking into the pit. I made a fire a few hours before cooking, to dry the soil. I made the trench long enough that I could drop more burning coals in at the end, and push them under the grate.

I'm assuming Thailand has various root veggies available. It's really easy to make foil packets full of root veg. with oil, salt & pepper, and place them at the edge of the coals to get roasted and crisp. Maybe start packets early, and finish the wings after a few hours.

Good luck, phew! You have your work cut out.
  • Fredc
    Fredc Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you. At the orphanage they have all types of utensils so I think I will be okay in that department and I know they have lots of knifes. I appreciate your advice on the pit and how you built it. Very new at this. I do know that they have jalapenos so I will just purchase those from the local market.

For root vege's I think I will shoot for the yams in that department. Good suggestion on the foil packets.

Thanks again for your advice.

Fred Croson