Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Quick!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just came home with a small Egg.....to go along with the large.....and am dying to fire it up and do hamburgers. I know this info is in the archives somewhere but I don't have time to go there. How hot should I get this little baby and at what temp should I cook the burgers? Thanky, thanky.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Gloria aka Muthah, personally I like 600 for burgers and then 3/3/1 assuming they are thick. Enjoy the small!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Gloria aka Muthah,
    I agree with RRP...and you are gonna LOVE the small..[p]Wess

• RRP,
    Thanks for the response.....but I don't know what 3/3/1 means!

• Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Options
    Gloria aka Muthah,
    3 minutes one side with both top and bottom vents wide open (at highest temp)
    flip, 3 minutes on other side at highest temp
    flip, 1 minute dwell (with both top and bottom vents closed)[p]Then before opening again - Be Sure to Open Vents Carefully to avoid burst of flame (flashback)
    Then open lid...carefully.
    J

• janet,
    You're a dear. Thanks a bunch.

• Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Options
    Gloria aka Muthah,
    Last step: Let us know how they turn out!!
    J[p][p]

• janet, Well, a slight problem; the meat I used was a very lean chuck, only 5% fat, and it felt like it would easily fall apart so my husband put a pan with holes in it on the grill. He couldn't seem to get the fire hot enough, and , in fact, could only get it to 400 degrees. He finally took the pan off, thinking that it might be intefering with the Eggs ability to get up to temp. At this time, we were so hungry that we put them on anyhow....cooked them 4/4/1 (how's that for proper lingo?). They were not very pretty, but they tasted great. The only other problem was that they "stank". The meat was good and fresh and I don't mean that they smelled like rotten meat, but they did have a stinky odor. Could it be the newness of the Egg? Also, maybe the hubby didn't put enough lump in to get it to 600??
    You know, we might be just too damn old to get the hang of this thing!!!! I sure hope not though.

• Gloria aka Muthah,
    sounds to me like you need to calibrate the guage on your new small. If you had trouble achieving 400 on a small then the other problem might be your vent isn't lined up properly but my guess is the fire was much hotter than you thought. The BGE booklet gives you the "how tos"