Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: bacon eating contest

Options
Essex County
Essex County Posts: 991
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw this short note in this morning's Globe. (Sorry, registration's already closed.) I figure I could eat a pound but that would maybe keep me out of last place...and then 3 or 4 Guinness...
Paul

From Boston Globe, March 1, 2008.

Atwood's Tavern, a cozy Inman Square haunt with live music, should be packed this morning when it hosts its second annual Bacon Eating Contest. Just reading that made you feel nauseous, didn't it? Ten competitors will line up at 11:30, and when the clock strikes noon, they'll eat as much bacon as they can in five minutes. Registration is closed for competition, but the eaters need spectators to cheer them on. In case you were wondering, the bacon comes from the North Country Smokehouse in New Hampshire. Free. Atwood's Tavern, 877 Cambridge St., Cambridge. 617-864-2792. atwoodstavern.com

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Now this is something I can really get behind. Nothing like a few pounds of bacon and pints of Guinness to start your day off right!

You've inspired me with your post, and I may hop a train into lovely Hoboken, NJ to catch the St. Pat's parade today over many pints of Guinness. I think I heard they're holding off on opening the bars until 11am this year, so I have a target arrival time. Not quite as cool as gorging on bacon and Guinness, but I'll takes what I can gets.

Heeeee,
    Cornfed
  • I that much bacon in our diets? Would be fun to set up an ABT eating contest though. Shall we put stike in charge?
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I wonder if they warm up with a few tablespoons of crisco?? Man, those competitive eaters always amaze me. You think you get a bellyache eatin' a couple dozen hot dogs and buns, wait til you eat a few pounds of bacon. Yowza. At least the bread with the hot dogs soaks sumadat stuff up!

Hope they got the barf bags ready. The spectators should have quite a show!

Heee
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Now I am a bit disappointed Mr. Fed. I fully expected this post from you to be a request for folks to come out and watch you participate. When I read that I immediately thought this would be the perfect outing for the brothers Corn (or myself).

I'm not Irish, but I thought St. Patrick's day was on March 17th.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    That would be a sure event to witness the classic "cornfed slip" in action!
    Hee
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Funny thing about those contest.... the crowd gets to see the gorging but never the afterwards purging!
    ... which is probably a good thing. :~)

Maybe there should be an award to the person who can keep it down and stay down.

john
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Yo Woo
    I am not familiar with the rules, but I'd bet if you yak, you're out. No fingers down the throat neither. You gotta send it out the other end or you're dq'd :-)
    Enjoy the breezy day ma fraind.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cornfed
    Options
    Haha. Seriously. I remember my Mom talking about cooking for one of my younger brothers when he was home from college a few years ago. He is very thin, but she noted how she used to cook up a pound of bacon every morning, and would make that, and some coffee, available to him for breakfast (since you need to balance out that bacon with some coffee, of course). Why ever move away from home?

Meanwhile, regarding the parade, yeah, there's definitely some date trickery involved. There's a website which tracks all these parades, and one of my cousins has 3 March weekends blocked for parades in Hoboken, NYC, and Morristown, NJ. On his one off weekend, he's doing the Atlantic City Beerfest (http://www.celebrationofthesuds.com/). Everyone needs balance.

Meanwhile, I am planning on hitting the 12-4pm session of the beerfest next weekend, so if there are any Eggers near South Jersey who want to meet up for some beers and gambling, let me know.

Heeeee,
    Cornfed
  • Cornfed
    Options
    Yeah, I'd agree that would be pretty likely. Though in this case I might be slipping away to get my stomach pumped :)

Heeeee,
    Cornfed