Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brined too long?

GaDawg
GaDawg Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have split chicken breasts that I brined overnight to cook
tonight. That didn't work, and I can't cook them tomorrow
either. Can anyone advise if they will be any good on Thursday,
or should I toss them? The longest I have brined chicken has
been about 18 hours. 3 days sounds a bit long to me.[p]Chuck

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    GaDawg,
    Just an opinion, but I would only go 4-5 hours on the split breasts.[p]
    Beers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    GaDawg, 3 days is getting on the long end of it. Here is what I have read about brining.
    How Long To Flavor Brine
    The length of time meat soaks in a flavor brine depends on the type of meat and its size, as well as the amount of salt used in the brine -- the saltier the brine mixture, the shorter the soaking time. Here are common brining times found in recipes:[p] Whole Chicken 4-12 hours
    Chicken Pieces 1-2 hours
    Whole Turkey 1-2 days
    Turkey Breast 5-8 hours
    Cornish Game Hens 1-2 hours
    Pork Chops 4-6 hours
    Pork Tenderloin 6-8 hours
    Whole Pork Loin 1-3 days[p]Hope this helps.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Hey Chris -[p]Gosh, you're good.[p]GaDawg, check out the link below - very helpful article.[p]Cathy

[ul][li]Ready for Brine Time[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Cat,
    I learned from you, pal!
    Hope all is well.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    GaDawg,[p] First off chicken scares the pants off of me when it comes to how low it will keep. When i buy it from the store & if i even think it smells off, i ether toss it or take it back.
    I have always looked at the fact it may have been on the counter for a few days( don't care what the date said ) so if i know it will not be cooked by the next day at the latest, i freeze it. We were talking on the weekend about a large butcher that cuts up chicken & even without washing the table cuts up beef orders for the same people. I don't shop there anymore. LOL
    Sorry about all the talking, but in it end, i say toss the bird.[p]Earl

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    GaDawg,
    I think they can still be saved, but they may be a bit salty. Soak them the second 24 hours in plain water and change the water every 8 hours. If it is all done at <40 degrees, you will not cause any harm from bacteria and you will be dialyzing out the salt. (an old trick from chem class). Give us all some feedback if you do.
    Regards,
    Marvin

• GaDawg,
    My best friends grandmother would roll over in her grave reading this thread.. Cant you find someone to give it to who has time to cook it.. Cant you just throw it in boiling water and boil it for twenty minutes.. Use it for enchiladas later, or soupor something.. Nuke it... Something...Throw it out?[p]Dylan

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Cat,[p]That's a great link. Thanks for sharing.[p]--sdb
  • Dear Wise One,[p]I agree with your chart. I have found that if you brine any longer the endproduct tastes too salty.[p]GaDawg, [p]Methinks you are in a pickle, for you have created pickled chick :-)[p]Ellen