Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket ideas

Options
WJS
WJS Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to try my first slow-cooked brisket, and I'm seeking ideas from any and all. A little background first.[p]One of my co-workers brought a brisket to work during the holidays. This was the best brisket I've ever had, and I hounded him about it for a long time. All he would say is "16 hours" and "mesquite".[p]I finally found out the he gets the things pre-cooked (!!!) from a place in Texas (we're in SoCal), and just heats them up. I bet him that I could turn out something as good, if not better, on the BGE. He did finally tell me that that he gets them from a place called "REB", a grocery store, and he hails from the Waco area. [p]Does anybody know this place? I was curious as to what kind of seasonings they use, so I can get a similar flavor.[p]I was planning on applying a basic rub, but was unsure in the particulars, and wasn't sure about mustard or "goop". 215-225 for the dome temp, but not sure if I should use a plate setter.[p]Help! (I want to win this bet)[p]Thanks [p]John

Comments

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    WJS, Sam's Club also sells the pre-cooked briskets. I did pruchase one once to try (like I try every bbq restaurant I come across) and I believe that they just cook it with no spices of any kind. One reason for this is because they have to satisfy many palates (tastes buds) and many people are alergic to certain spices.
    I know in my catering business, I use many spices and I have run across people that ask if I use 'such or such' spice, because they or someone in the party can't have it. I have never heard a complaint that I used too much.[p]Marv

• Follow-up,
    I e-mailed HEB to ask how they cooked their briskets.
    I received a reply today. Unfortunately, they replied with the following:[p]"Thank you for letting us know that you enjoy our H-E-B Fully Cooked Brisket.
    Due to proprietary restrictions, we are unable to provide you with any information regarding the recipe/cooking instructions that go into the development of our briskets. We hope that you continue to enjoy our products".[p]