Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

first xl cook

tjvtjv Posts: 3,404
edited 12:25AM in EggHead Forum
Fired up the xl late yesterday afternoon just for the heck of it. Used my large lump bucket with some useless extruded cocunut lump. The wife opens the door and yells, brats for I'm cooking.

Sure is a lot of territory under that hood....

2ndshots030.jpg ACGP, Inc.

• FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    Must give the Brats a complex :laugh: :laugh:
  • Beanie-BeanBeanie-Bean Posts: 3,092

Between you and SGP, you've both given me some really great ideas on what to do when the XL finally makes it home after the Texas Eggfest this year. I like the lump basket and the custom XL rig ya got in the pics. How do you like it so far? Looks like you've been planning the XL addition, as I saw that it was sitting in a table.
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 4,260
    Shame they don't make a XXL. That's a tight fit on the XL. LOL
    Are you taking pre orders for XL stuff yet?
    XL Rig in the works?
    Glad you got your XL but your family is never going to see you for the next 3 months.
    Just a short encounter as you run from the welding shop to the Egg and from the egg to the kitcken for food to grill.
    Have fun,
    Thank you,

Galveston Texas
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Using your old lump basket is a good idea.... I was about ready to give you a hard time about cooking such a small amount, but I have been known to do the same thing. :laugh:

Happy Trails

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BamaFanBamaFan Posts: 658
    The lump basket? Where could a man get one of those?
  • EggtuckyEggtucky Posts: 2,746
    man those brats look almost lonely!! ;) ..nothing like the look of a brand new egg eh?...the lump basket is a great idea too! ;)
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,972
    Looks great, but don't you have a small for a few brats? Also is there a lump basket for the LARGE?
  • As an XL owner, I for one am lov'n the lump bucket idea. That addition will make the XL a truly versatile tool and seems to solve the excess lumpage use issue.
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,404
    I can relate ACGP, Inc.
    No small for me. The lump bucket I made for my large egg. Eggor an old forum member used a stainless strainer for a large lump bucket. He drilled extra holes in it. Anything similar should work. Betcha one of those woks with holes would work for the xl. T ACGP, Inc.
    lonely, that's why I pulled them forward, snuggle brats....LOL. T ACGP, Inc.
    I made it, took a good afternoon. As I mentioned earlier, maybe one of those woks with holes would work for the xl. Just thinking outside the box, firebox that is....... ACGP, Inc.
    If the frozen butts and brisket ever thaw out, sitting in the fridge, I'll do a big cook. ACGP, Inc.
  • How many people did it take to put it in the table? Looks like a good fit.

I'm ahead of the curve with the stuff, been working a long time on it. Needed the xl to complete pics.....that would be pics with the D80 - green (auto) setting. So what are those other buttons on the camera for anyway. T ACGP, Inc.
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,972
    Yeh, I remember eggor, got a very nice ABT holder from him and a Lucy for the small and large. He is OK, starting a new business and still around. just hibernating. Heard from him recently.
    If thet xl was an inch bigger, it would not fit in the table. Call about cutting it close. T ACGP, Inc.
    just me, put the base in the hole, screw up, take it out, fix, put it in the hole, screw up, take it out....did that about 5 times......gotta love the bear hug move....T ACGP, Inc.
  • So...... What's the verdict? Is the XL on par with the other sizes?
    still to early to tell. box goes tomorrow. T ACGP, Inc.
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,769
    Me too

load 'er up!!

just don't drop it

even two butts look lonely on an XL.

Mrs Wolf wanted some chicken :P
    I still think we need a busted egg club, one club no one wants to join, but once in wear the badge proudly......dang it.

100_0183.jpg ACGP, Inc.
  • Ouch! How the heck did you manage to drop it? I have an XL and it took three guys to get it in place on the deck. Ofcourse I probably jinxed myself now and will break it the next time I roll it to clean behind it. The XL is my first egg so I can't compare it to the others BUT I love all the room. Glad to see the new gear is out for the XL as well. Hope you had a moment of silence for your dead egg...killed me to see the pic!
    I moved it in parts.....base only first and so on. Sometimes it pays to be 6'1", weigh 250 and have a 36 inch sleeve length. The hard part was picking it out each time I screwed up....T ACGP, Inc.
  • JimboBQJimboBQ Posts: 196
    I too am a member of this humble Busted Egg Club.The sound that the egg makes as it breaks is similar to a woman screaming...Really makes you wince, doesn't it?
    This is also my first post on the new forum. Hope the picture makes it. If not, I'll learn later.....

[img size=150]IMG][/IMG
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • JimboBQJimboBQ Posts: 196
    JimboBQ tries again!
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • guys are killing me with the "broke egg" pictures. I'm not moving mine an inch!!!
  • ScubadogScubadog Posts: 97