Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite recipe

Beli
Beli Posts: 10,751
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It would be interesting to know what´s our favorite recipe on the Egg, as an oven & as a grill- To me the egg really excells at low & slow cooking......and my favorite by far is brisket.........on the other side, the egg is also a marvel at high searing so I´d have to choose TRex´s rib eyes. :woohoo:

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I think my favorite is the one I'm cooking next :laugh: :laugh: . I'm usually wrong but sometimes surprised & never disappointed. Guess I love a challenge & buying about 5 dozen bananas till I get that dang bananas foster right LOL :( :laugh:

Pat
  • Beli
    I´ve noticed that buying them slightly on the green side helps keeping them firm...... :whistle:
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I think overall...the one I did tonight is the fav for me and the wiffie of everything I do..the Maple-Mustard-Balsamic-Glazed Trex Flat Iron w/blue cheese and pecans...all in all the best thing we've made on the egg in the last year probably...make it about once a month..
    a536e844.jpg
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Tri-tip...

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

~ Broc
  • Beli
    Do you have the recipe?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Have done this since. As a teenager in the '50's spent many years in Guadalajara, love the culture.

Pork, Roast, Crown, Richard

It is all YB's fault for teasing us with Eggtoberfest '04 & '05 and then giving us a taste at Eggtoberfest '06. Thank you again! Richard

1 15 Lbs. Pork, Roast, Crown, 24 Bones
    *****Stuffing*****
    3 Pkgs Uncle Ben's Wild Rice Mixture
    2 Cans Water Chestnuts, Chopped, Coarsley
    6-8 Scallions, Chopped and Sauteed
    Dash Salt/Pepper & Cavender's Seasoning

1 Rack ready to roast!
    2 Roast was slathered with cheap yellow mustard, Spice Island Lemon Garlic and Indian River Pepper Blend. Rested for about an hour.
    3 Large BGE was set up indirect, drip pan w/water 3/4 way up. At 250°F placed the roast on the grid without the stuffing in the middle.
    4 Had 3-4 pieces of apple and a handful of pecan chips for smoke. Brought the BGE to 325°F-350°F, Placed aluminum foil around tips of bones.
    5 About 2 hours into the cook, stuffed the cooked rice mixture into the cavity, took about 3/4's of the batch. Saved the rest for later. Closed the BGE and went another 45 minutes until the internal temperature was 147°F.
    6 Pulled, let rest normally 30-45 minutes, but this time, my first roast project, had so much going on that the roast was ready 3 hours before the guests were hungry.
    7 SO, covered with aluminum foil and let sit on table in kitchen for the duration, never reheated in oven, just served with hot mushroom gravy. Worked out fine.
    8 Placed little gold paper frills on the bones. Sliced 1 bone/chop per person was plenty.
    9 None of this would have been possible without the kind help from Mr Crown Roast, Larry Ward, AKA "YB". Thanks Larry!!!
    SIDES SERVED:
    1 Apple Sauce, Pork Gravy, Asparagus Grilled, Portobello Mushrooms & Sweet Onion, cut in fork size pieces, placed in aluminum foil with little butter chicken boullion, s/p and teaspoon water wrapped tightly and placed on egg 30-45 minutes while roast is cooking. Dessert of choice, ours was three layer white cake with coconut frosting.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 12/25/06

2007/01/02---RPH-Fed 12 adults Christmas day and 6 more 3 days later. Gave some away. In the future will figure 1 1/3-1 1/4 bones per person, depending on crowd and are they big eaters.

2008/02/26---Just saw a picture of a crown roast that used cherry tomatoes for the tips of the bones--neat idea--perhaps green olives would work also Colorful. Richard Fl
  • Beli
    This sounds like a must for my egg very soon. Thanks!!! :)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Its a toss up between ABTs and Pulled Pork. As a southern boy I was not getting a lot of bbq in Ohio. I found the BGE in a quest for what I thought was a grill like my dads. Reading up about it on this forum those many years ago hooked me on the product. Pulled pork was a huge bonus for me. Because I was really looking for a grill. What little I knew.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Lo 'n' Slo: Pulled Pork

Roasted: Pistachio-Encrusted French Cut Rack of Lamb

Grilled: Buffalo Burgers..

Baked: Sweet Tater Pie.

Dutch Oven: Hungry Man Breakfast.

I think that about covers the range..
  • Not exactly a recipe but I love my ribs. Of course when I can I also like beef tenderloin. Actually I haven't met an egged food I didn't like!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    So far it's pork butt, pulled or just torn off with the fingers. Hard to beat, with a nice, not-too-crisp bark! Gotta look into injecting a mirinade when I do the next one. Any ideas?

Rascal
  • I T-Rexed a ribeye on Tuesday that turned out to be the best steak I've ever had. I've never gone wrong with a T-Rex steak, but this one was magical. :)
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    In no particular order:

Pig Candy
    ABT's
    TRexed Flat Irons
    Pizza
    Pulled Pork
    No-Knead bread
    Tilapia Pecandine

:P :P :P :P :P :P

Kim Youngblood