Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever grilled talapia?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wondering if I can do it on the BGE. Have no idea what temp. to cook it or how long. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    We do it fairly often. Milk/egg wash, then breaded with panko. I use a well-oiled griddle heated to 375 (dome temp), and flip the filets after 3 minutes.

HTH
    Ken
  • I've done this direct on the grill. I love to put dizzy pig tsunami spin on it. I mist with EVOO first and then coat good with the rub. I get the dome up between 350-400 and just lay the fish across the grill. You can spray the grill with some non stick or EVOO if you like. I just make sure the fish is good and cooked on one side before flipping. I've noticed that if I let the fish go just past the point that I think it is done and then flip, the fish doesn't stick to the grill. So, if you think it is done on side one, let it sit a little longer.

I'm not very scientific and I'm sure some more eggsperienced users may weight in with some better time and temp points.

This fish taste good and has a good consistency. I've also used catfish the same way.

My favorite is a big red fish with the scales still on one side. Oh, now I'm hungry.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Found this for you....

Tilapia is great when cooked direct on the grill hot and fast, and seared on both sides until the rub is browned and sizzling. 700 would be a good temp. But it all depends on what you have to work with. Thick fresh filets with no gaping cook up real nice right on the grate....with one careful flip. Thin, wimpy filets will surely need to go on some kind of oiled fish grate....but the same theory....hot and fast. Anything over 5 minutes a side and you are not cooking hot enough.

I have a bias on what rub I would use, but why not just salt and pepper them (or some lemon pepper or raging river), and use the same raspberry chipotle sauce you use on the chops.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Make a "pan" out of alum. foil. Lightly coat with EVOO, sprinkle with limon juice, pinch tarragon, fresh cracked pepper, Old Bay seasoning and garlic pepper seasoning. 325 dome indirect for 30 min. This is for fillets. LastwkFEB08021.jpg
  • SamIam
    SamIam Posts: 20
    duckhookindawg,
    Lobster Stuffed Tilapia – A fresh tilapia fillet stuffed with lobster, onions, celery and spices. Bake at 400°F for 18 to 20 minutes or until the center is cooked and the fish flakes easily with a fork.[p]It'll work in your egg

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Really good tips LA. Great post.

Grilling direct and achieving a nicely browned surface takes a piece of fish to new heights. Your trick to cook longer on the first side is a good one. I think the main reason folks end up going with foil or a plank is the fear of having the fish stick....which usually ends up totally screwing your meal. If you get good browning, the fish will release itself. The trick I discovered is to push the fish gently, and parallel to the grate. If it won't break loose and slide sideways, you won't have much luck flipping it....so go a bit longer.

Regarding temps, 400 is good for thicker pieces that can brown longer, but don't be skeered to use 700 or hotter with thinner pieces.

I'm gettin hungry too talking feesh.
    Cheers!
    Chris

PS....glad you are diggin on the Tsunami!
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • duckhookindawg,[p]Ever since I saw that episode of Dirty Jobs I have sworn straight off of tilapia.[p]RE