Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large or XL

Options
sambuca
sambuca Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If you eggheads had to do it all over again, would you buy a Large or an XL? I'm going to buy one soon, but I'm afraid over time I'll out grow the Large and always want the XL.

Comments

• Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    I'd buy the biggest you can afford. Or buy 2. The large burns slightly less lump. The XL can do everything the large can do, and a lot more.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You are going to get a lot of different opinions to this question.

I cater so I like my XL for the sheer amount of food it can cook; however, for day to day operation around the wolf compound my large and small get the most use.

I have and will continue to feed 30+ people off my large egg.

Do I regret the size eggs I have? Nope

In case you care I have six. 3 Larges, 2 smalls and my XL.
  • easygoinjay
    Options
    Ah, the recurring post that always opens up a can of worms. It's a good idea to do a search of this forum and look up this topic. You'll be able to review dozens of posts on this topic and get lots of good info.

As far as my $.02...

I heard about how great the BGE was from a friend back when the biggest they made was the large. I was intrigued but couldn't get over the limited grate size vs. the price. I figured I would get a nice gas grill instead.

When the XL came out I really wanted one because now there really was an egg with enough primary grate space for me. It took me getting some gift cards for wedding gifts to offset the cost of buying the XL to finally take the plunge.

After getting the XL, I got into this forum and realized the large really was more versatile thanm I thought. I probably could have made the Large work just fine. If I had it all over to do again I think I would get....

The XL. Definitely the XL. My reasoning:

Many posts say that you would probably want the large unless you're cooking for a large number of people on a regular basis. I tend to disagree. I use all of the grate space on the XL often when cooking for only 2-4 people. How? I cook the entree, veggies, and (sometimes) dessert on the XL. I am always thankful for the plentiful grate real estate. I can cook sweet/spicy chicken, asparagus, and seared pineapple rings all at the same time and they're hot and ready for 4 people who are just ready to sing my praises.

All that being said, many people here endorse a small egg/large egg combo because it's about the same price as one XL and you can have 2 different temperature eggs for different foods. I see their point, but I haven't had many problems with the XL and getting different foods to cook on the same grate with a little tweaking, timing, and thinking.

For example, I use the half moore raised grate all the time with the drip pan in place. If I'm cooking a veggie that needs a lower temp than the meat I'm cooking on the grate, I sear the veggies quickly on the grate then toss them on the raised grid. They don't burn that way and turn out great. It's better for me to just handle one monster grill than two.

The bottom line is that these are all great grills. Read the feedback, search the past posts, and decide for yourself. You'll be happy.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Have you looked at an XL in the store yet? When I did research online it seemed just like one size up from a Large egg, but when I first saw it in person it was freakin' huge! No way would I want to cook on that thing. The lid is heavier to open one-handed, it doesn't tilt quite as well or as far, and it would use a good bit more lump to bring up to temp. If I had a big crowd to feed then I would get a good multi-rack system for the Large, or just buy a second Large egg. Another benefit of using two Large eggs would be that you can cook at two different temps simultaneously, and I think the cost would be about the same as getting one XL anyway.
  • Scubadog
    Options
    I thought very seriously about getting two eggs instead of my single XL. As a matter of fact, I'm still planning on getting the 2nd one just as soon as they come out with the XXL.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    One more consideration. The large egg weighs 140 pounds. The XL weighs in at 200 pounds.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I'd hold out for an XXL or even an XXXL.

Personally, I got the XL and love it. I added a small when I decided I was burning too much lump cooking one or two steaks or just a few burgers, The XL is great though when you want to cook 25 lbs of chuck or 6 butts or 25 slabs of ribs.
  • Scubadog
    Options
    Giving it more thought, I think an XL and a small might be the ticket. That way you have a great unit for 2 person cooks that you can also take to the beach.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I have the medium and for personal cooks it has worked out very well, although it would be nice to cook different items at different temps; such as a sudden hankering for steak when you are halfway through a low and slow. My next purchase will be an XL, but that is because I am getting into catering a bit. If I was not, I would probably get another med. My perfect setup for home use only, would be either 2 mediums or a small/medium combo.
    Cory
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I cook for 30 often -- Cooking for 60 this weekend...

I have a Medium and a Small.

I don't think my first Egg would be an XL -- eats too much lump at once, and I seldom need that much cookin' space.

For what you pay for an XL, you can get a Large and a Small... and have LOTS of versatility.

Unless you're catering, I can't imagine what you'd do with all the Big Bang of an XL -- the little you'd need such Ammo.

~ Broc
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Either one's gonna mean a double hernia for me!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

~ B
  • I started out with an XL, then sold it and got a Large. Both were great, but I like the large better for home use. It burns less lump, and its a little more versatile due to the design.

I would recommend you get a large and a small. That would cost the same as an XL, but allow you to cook at 2 temps at the same time.

Brett
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I got the LBGE first, then decided I needed another one so I can cook other things while the LBGE was busy, so I got the SBGE. I'm holding my dollars now for the XLBGE from the Texas EggFest, because I'd like to have the room available if I need it, although I can cook for a lot of people using the Large/Small combo. Charcoal is cheap--you'll never burn as much as you do on a kettle grill.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I recently bought a large and at least for now it is versatile enough for our needs. I have cooked steaks for four with baked potatoes and it was sufficient. However, I am still learning how to do multiple cooking on it with food that requires different tempertures.

I would have the same learning curve with the XL but clearly have more space to place food, that being said because I do have a large my next one will be a small. the one other advantage of having a large and a small will be portability. You can take the small with you if you go away for a week or two and want to cook, can't do that with an XL.

Hope this helps
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i think you will buy a second egg down the road as most of us have, a large/ small, or 2 larges is a great setup. the xl looks great because of the extra grill space, but a large will fit 30 pounds of butt and brisket with some thought, choice is yours. i dont know what an xl burns for lump, but i can easily go thru 400 pounds a year in a large. the lump usage is why i picked up a small, it burns very little lump compared to the larger units. when i build my built in kitchen it will have two larges built in with a portable small that i can move around to different areas on the patio.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    this was the ash from my first week cooking on the small. maybe four cooks.
    and you can see here that most of it is actually unburnt small bits of lump, not ash at all. the thing is a miser.

2006augustLakeWvacation033.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    The XL is a great cooker and you won't be disappointed with it.
    Like others in this thread, I have a large, small and a mini.... and that combination covers all of the backyard cooking that we do.

Good luck with your decision!

john
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I vote for a Lrge & Small BGE...but as you can see you just need to get a BGE...you can't go wrong...

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA